Recent college lost in the world of trading!

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Tuneman, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Ah you guys!

Come one now, this ain't even worth it.

Surdo, dude, you're a great trader and the way you constantly encourage these guys to move outside the standard ES is to commended.

Your comments are helping me move from theoritical non-correlated models to actually be able to implement them (talk is cheap, if you see someone doing it succesfully, it can be done).

You don't have to worry about what someone else says (and you gotta admit, it was a pretty damn tasty looking cookie!). :p

Best Regards,

JJ

#21     Oct 6, 2006
  2. Surdo

Surdo

Have a nice weekend!

el Surdo

#22     Oct 6, 2006
  3. Nope. You dont need a college degree or any specific experience to work on Wall Street. You dont need any of that to be a billionaire for that matter. All you need is a good idea. Look at Bill Gates and Michael Dell. Both college dropouts. Michael Dell made a million dollars his first year out of a small college dorm room.

Lets take a look at the Vonage CEO, sorry, too lazy to look his name up, it escapes me. He started working for a brokerage at age 17. Im not even sure if he is a high school graduate. He was an executive of Datek by his 20s flying into Manhattan on a helicopter. He invented the Island by the way.

Going to Harvard, working for a hedge fund, using your valuable time to trade is the hard way. In fact, if you work a simple job and you invest 10 grand a year in dividend paying stocks and hold them you are virtually assured of becoming a millionaire in time.

Sit down, create an idea, buy/hold a dividend paying stock, etc. Those are the easy ways to big money. Trading, working for an investment bank, etc. Thats just hard money. Maybe even flip a few houses on the next housing boom.

In the meantime, workout, kick back and get laid. Buy and hold some dividend stocks. Dont worry about the investment banks and Goldman. They dont get the chicks. I get the chicks...

#23     Oct 6, 2006
  4. Tuneman

Tuneman

OH WOW, I see I struck a few nerves with the forum douchebags. Well I guess its moot though, I probibaly wouldnt want to take advice from someone who takes a forum THAT seriously.

#24     Oct 6, 2006
  5. Tuneman

Tuneman

btw to the assholes:

You could have just not post you know... and let the thread die. I know people like to poke fun at the intellegence of traders, but I never thought... well nevermind.

Just to piss poeple off, I will not be using the search function in the future, and my posts will be as vague, generalized, and unoriginal as possible.

#25     Oct 6, 2006
  6. I'm liking this kid. Ya' got stones! You'll need a thick skin around here. People losing money day in and day out makes for a grouchy bunch.
    Seriously, there is some good stuff here, but you'll have to wade through a mountain of bullshit to find it.
    Welcome!

#26     Oct 6, 2006
  7. I second that. . .

He never answered my question though . . .What school did you go to?

#27     Oct 6, 2006
  8. Tuneman

Tuneman

Thanks for the kudos.

I went to Loyla University

#28     Oct 6, 2006
  9. bonds

bonds

judging from my experience, around here ppl tend to be a lot better at flaming than making money from trading...

#29     Oct 6, 2006
  10. I don't know . . from what I hear it's always tuff to find an opening doing what you want to do . . i assume it's learning the industry while still given the chance to moove up and trade and make astro. amounts of money.

THere are of course a few routes you can take. .

You could try to start as a clerk for some brokers still trading at an actual exchange, you know, on the floor? Depends on where you live. . it's not always great to move b/c of costs etc. But it's not easy working in trading if you don't make the sacrific.

You can go to school for financial engineering. THere are a bunch of programs . . from Florida State to Univ of Chicago. Let me know I can get you a list.

Try applying to trading firms. . not necessarily i-banks(almost impossble unless they recruit at your college). Some of these firms, like Optiver and Jump Trading, have intern programs that offer a trial period etc.

Either way you're gonna want to brush up on your programming skills.

As far as physics go . . .My old boss went to school for physics . . we didn't really use any physics in our trading . .but he always said that physics classes have the hardest word problems and thats how he thinks thru trading problems. So. . .

#30     Oct 6, 2006