Recent College Grad+CFA

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by naz9403, Jul 29, 2008.

1. naz9403

naz9403

So like many on here i tried to trade e minis with like 2.5k i think it was and lost 1k just due to the fact that trading under capitalized is extremely difficult. It took me -1k to figure out i need to get a job..save...and then trade. So you can search my name and find the thread i started a few years ago and laugh. I did haha.

Anyway, i just graduated with a degree in economics and am finding it very difficult to get a job as a financial analyst because i don't have an extensive accounting background. I got offers from banks but those were for "personal banker" aka salesman.

So my plan is to study for the CFA level I test in December full time since i don't have a job yet. I'm paying 100% of it out of pocket so i have incentive to work my broke ass off.

If anyone has any experience taking the CFA level I and then applying to jobs i'd love to hear about it and any other pointers you have.

Thank you,

Naz

2. Financial analyst and CFA are different career paths.

3. What's your location. I see plenty of finance careers in Chicago & Florida regions but I imagine anything surrounding New York is in complete armageddon due to the massive layoffs on Wall Street.

4. naz9403

naz9403

I live in Michigan and as you may guess it's pretty much dead here. I want to pursue the CFA to open doors for me. My career path is to eventually trade for a living. And i understand a CFA does not improve trading and is essentially worthless however in the real world degrees and certifications are essential in the pursuit of a decent job. I think if i can work my ass off and pass the level I the first try i can get my resume to the top of the pile and hopefully get a job. The quicker i get a job the quicker i can save to trade on my own.