Reccomend free or low cost data source

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by 931, Jan 20, 2017.

1. 931

Hi , Please reccomend data source or api for downloading wide range of instruments.
    Data format best if text based and not cryptic, also good if 1 min or lower data avalible but not manditory.
    Or if unreadable format and open source converter or conversion code sources avalible.

2. BigTommy

BigTommy

The best you're going to get for free is probably end-of-day data.

You know businesses are built around selling data, right? Hard to do if it's free.

jharmon likes this.
  3. Overnight

Overnight

Good grief, talk about sniff-test failure. I don't even know how to explain this. Something off about you sir.

4. Here is a free API from barchart. Most granular data available is 1 minute OHLC. CSV format is available if you can't parse JSON or XML on your own. All major exchanges are available with the exception of ICE (Intercontinental Exchange).

http://www.barchartondemand.com/freemarketdataapi.php

algofy, 931 and Lou Friedman like this.
  5. 931

Cant understand. What do you mean by sniff-test and something off?

6. SunTrader

SunTrader

Free, free, free.

Takes money to make money.

7. algofy

algofy

I don't really see an issue here with his question, he simply looking for data to test with most likely and doesn't want to pay for it. Another guy gave him his answer exactly With barchart so what's the big deal?

8. 931

If look at header im asking for free or low cost data source. It does not have to be absolutely free.
    Most data that i currently have is forex and starts with decent resolution at ~1990s and looking for more stock data, good if new data go back to 2000s or earlyer also.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  9. algofy

algofy

Don't worry about it, these people are just overreacting like normal.

10. SunTrader

SunTrader

I can read. My comment stands.

#10     Jan 22, 2017