Reasons for Why you need multiple accounts, multiple IPs, and multiple brokers

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by traderum, Dec 6, 2009.

1. You seem to be a total newbie in stocks and markets issues.
    Take a look for example to this page and try to guess what
    the field "After Hours: 192.07 N/A (N/A) 4:18am ET" there might mean...:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AAPL

#21     Dec 7, 2009
  2. 4XQs

4XQs

#22     Dec 7, 2009
  3. Thanks for the link, IMHO very informative.
    But it also writes this:

"Extended hours trading on a day with a session that is not interfered with is from 4 a.m. - 9:30 and 3:59 - 8 p.m. EST."

Ie. in total it is very well 23 to 24h trading.
    (actually it is 23.5 hours; 30 minutes are needed to reboot the machines etc.).

#23     Dec 7, 2009
  4. MTE

MTE

Since when does 4 a.m. to 8 p.m. equal to 23-24 hours!?

By the way, options don't trade in extended hours.

#24     Dec 7, 2009
  5. Hmm. yes the calculation gives a total of only 16 hours/day,
    but my experience via the broker IB is 23.5 hours/day.
    There is only a half hour window where the system disconnects the client
    and doesn't allow login for 30 minutes (23:50 - 00:20 ET).
    As stated in the wiki article, Extended hours trading mostly happens
    on the ECNs, these electronic markets are independent of the regular NYSE/NASDAQ/AMEX/CME markets.

Hmm. I can't confirm this. They trade together with the stocks. Having
    a stock trading, but its options not trading would be IMHO an impossible situation with far reaching consequences...

#25     Dec 7, 2009
  6. MTE

MTE

When you can log into your broker's platform has nothing to do with when the markets trade. IB offers international markets and FX so obviously you need to be able to log in at any time, 24h a day. US markets, on the other hand, do NOT trade 23 or 24h a day, well futures do, but not the stocks. And, I repeat, options do not trade in extended hours, they only trade from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. EST (index and etf options trade till 4:15).

So it seems that you are the only one who is confused about when the US markets are open.

By the way, CME, as in Chicago Mercantile Exchange, is a futures exchange and has nothing to do with stock trading.

#26     Dec 7, 2009
  7. Well, FYI: I live in Europe, 6 hours difference to US ET timezone...
    So, yes I can be wrong on the given times, sorrry.

#27     Dec 7, 2009
  8. MTE

MTE

It doesn't matter where you live (on a side note, I also live in Europe). Just shift all the hours I have listed by 6 hours forward and you get your local times.

#28     Dec 7, 2009
  9. MTE

MTE

And here's another thought. In your other thread you say that you have been paper trading. So how the heck can you possibly make any of the statements at the start of this thread about the market makers ripping you off if you haven't even placed a single real trade!?

#29     Dec 7, 2009
  10. The demo system I'm using is IMO real, it just uses some offsets in the prices (on user-side).

#30     Dec 7, 2009