Reasonable revenue split as trader

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by AlphaMale, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I can’t help with foreign markets. The investor I have in mind would be more interested in US futures.

#21     Nov 29, 2018
  2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

"YIPES!!"
    I know it's unpopular to say, but ultimately, there are provisions in Chinese commerce that are outside of anyone's "law" -- a principle nuked in Western civilization with the Magna Carta. (Totally serious here.) As much of a fan of BABA as I am, I would not put a dollar there, long-term. Xi could decide tomorrow that Blah-Blah-Blah, and your money is *gone*, and with zero recourse. I'm sure there's *wonderful* things going on there, but my mind, it's playing Russian Roulette with a very big cylinder: there's still a bullet waiting for the hammer.:confused:

#22     Nov 29, 2018
  3. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Would a similar strategy but with ETFs for US market be of interest?

#23     Nov 29, 2018
  4. qlai

qlai

@AlphaMale, if you don't mind sharing, are you concerned at all about protecting your IP? Is there a clause for that? If there is, is it realistically enforceable?

Also curious if the strategy requires lots of capital to be worth running, cause if it's not why not run it yourself and build it up?

#24     Nov 29, 2018
  5. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

IP is no issue, software is running on our server which we just connect to their trading account - plug n' play. Running the strategy requires about 5 min of work per day.

#25     Nov 29, 2018
  6. TommyR

TommyR

i'd say as long as you don't have to integrate anything into their infrastructure and just pay them 90% until you have enough money but i'm not sure how that could work with them being 'in charge of risk management'. it's lower than a junior hf pm so you should expect not to have to give everything away as well as make all the money. i agree with everyone else it depends completely on the specifics of the contract.

#26     Dec 1, 2018
  7. I did that for a while. I charged 20% of profits on a high water mark basis..

#27     Dec 1, 2018
  8. bln

bln

I would say it depends on much capital they will allocate to your book. If it's sub $10m I would opting for something higher than 10% of net returns above high water mark.

You do the math, how much capital will you manage, what is the size of your expected return in pct and $. What will your cut in $ be. Then you know if it's worth it or if you should ask for something higher.

Other considerations is if it will be your full time job and only income, or will you have a regular job beside running a book for them. Tax rate on this income?

Also put in how much effective time you will spend on them. That is also part of the calculation.

#28     Dec 2, 2018
  9. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Well, actually at "steady state" it's no more than half an hour per day, later, with bigger AUM it will take some more coordination but not vastly more.

#29     Dec 2, 2018
  10. qlai

qlai

This is just for my own curiosity. Does anyone think that creating trenches is a good idea? In other words, the more money is invested, the less percentage the creator gets. So the more backers invest, the more they keep, but at the same time the creator gets more money even though the percentage of the total is smaller. Win-win?
    Example:
    10% of 100M
    5% of 250M
    2.5% of 500M
    1% of 500M+

#30     Dec 2, 2018
    tommcginnis likes this.