Reason why market just tanked

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Trend Fader, Mar 24, 2004.

1. #11     Mar 24, 2004
  2. So much for using technical tools like fibonacci retracements, eh Trend Fader?

:D

#12     Mar 24, 2004
  3. jem

jem

nice work

#13     Mar 24, 2004
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

I agree....news moves markets. But that doesnt neccesarily mean you need to evacuate ur system..as a poster pointed out..the distortion may in fact be a wet dream in disguise...AKA..anthrax letters...:D

#14     Mar 24, 2004
  5. Rumors and news of this type do have a market impact - but the impact is typically to exacerbate the underlying trend. But some rumors are taken off the shelf and used over and over to push the market this way or that. The "Saddam", now "Bin Laden Capture" rumor is one example of this. I can't recall how many times Bin Laden has already been captured by false news reports used to move the market.

I think this is what Cheese and sulong are talking about - because these news stories tend to revert back to the mean - like today's movement, for example.

News that is of a truly "surprise" nature and that is significant to the market fundamentals (like a surprise rate move) will change the trend direction for more than just a few minutes or hours, but these news reports are extremely rare.

#15     Mar 24, 2004
  6. cosmic

cosmic

What really moves is not even so important as the fact to be able to stay in the market flow regardless of outer influences & to stay in flow with your usual setups...but as timely newsfeed with good, customized alerts can pay for itself during the trading year & is sometimes the "cream of the crop"

good trades,
    cosmic

#16     Mar 24, 2004
  7. news stories tend to revert back to the mean

Thanks TriPack,
    This is exactly what I was trying to relate to. ( in my own fumbling way) :)

#17     Mar 24, 2004
  8. cosmic

cosmic

exactly: just another shortterm cycle :)

ready to be exploited :)

best,
    cosmic

#18     Mar 24, 2004
  9. Lets get real over hear... they tend to revert to the mean after the fact. In real time trading that is very dangerous type trading.

In my history of trading I can remember countless times when the news moved the markets so much it screwed up intraday charts and the market never reverted back to its mean for days... and sometimes longer than that.

A very dangerous method is to fade news reports.. because u never really know if they are serious or bullshit.. I agree 90% of the time they are pure bullshit like that russian nuke sub blowing up... but the one time that its legit u can get crushed.

--MIKE

#19     Mar 24, 2004
  10. 90% is very good odds, don't ya think?

Here's a chart about the time this conversation started.

What is so different about the price action around your news time?

#20     Mar 24, 2004