Realtick problems

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Brandonf, Nov 4, 2002.

1. What kind of problems were you and the others seeing?

Thanks,
    Josh Moses
    Townsend Analytics

#11     Nov 13, 2002
  2. Whamo

Whamo

Josh,

The level II for EST2 was behind the Realtick Level I and charts and Ensign charts by up to 10 points. Happens all the time when there is large volume. What are you guys doing to fix this problem? (Please don't tell me this is the first time you've heard of it.)

#12     Nov 13, 2002
  3. Things are being fixed as we speak. Make sure that your level 2 window is pointed to &Level2&, not $QUOTES$. If you do see something like this, give us a call at 1-800-997-9630, extension 3. We'll figure out what's happening.

Thanks,
    Josh Moses
    Townsend Analytics

#13     Nov 13, 2002
  4. I have had one problem after another with RT for the last few weeks. Today charts were very slow to display after changing pages. Almost every morning I get bounced off right after the open. Either this crap gets fixed pretty damn fast or a lot of us will be switching platforms. The only reason to use RT is it is supposed to be the most reliable and stable platform. Lately it hasn't been nearly as good as QCharts.

#14     Nov 13, 2002
  5. If you're getting "bounced off" it means you're having connectivity problems. You ought to try running a constant ping in the morning by going to start | run and typing command or cmd. Hit enter. Type "ping -t beacon.taltrade.com" without the quotes. This will run until you tell it to stop. You'll get a good idea of how long it's taking your ISP to get you to us and how often you're timing out. Again, you may want to give us a call when you're having problems.

Thanks,
    Josh Moses
    Townsend Analytics

#15     Nov 13, 2002
  6. Whamo

Whamo

AAA,

Try using Ping Plotter. It gives you a little bit more of a graphical representation of your connection. It will show you where the disconnect is and whether the routers in your path are dropping packets. http://www.pingplotter.com/

If the path shows clean and you get a pause or Realtick re-initialization then you've ruled out a connection problem and narrowed it down to either a bankwidth or a Realtick server issue. Try testing your bandwidth at various times of the day w/ a tool like DSL Reports has, then test it when you are having issues. http://www.dslreports.com/

#16     Nov 13, 2002
  7. Bsulli

Bsulli

Ok I'm a little tick now. I had a similar problem several months ago and I was on the Level2 server and was told that was the problem and need to be on the Quotes server.

Tell me as a company in whole which freakin' server do I need to be using for Level 2 CME Emini quotes?

Thanks in advance
    Bsulli

#17     Nov 13, 2002
  8. Hubert

Hubert

you are so funny let em have it

#18     Nov 13, 2002
  9. I think you're mixing up class and attribute. The $LEVEL2$ class didn't exist until about a month ago. The issue is this: servers in the $QUOTES$ class were the primary repositories for &LEVEL2& and &QUOTES& attributes-- ie, Level 2 and Level 1 data. With the vastly increased message rates of the past few months, we found that the servers were *not* able to keep up from a technical standpoint. Thus, we created two new classes, $LEVEL2$ and $LEVEL2NI$, which should keep all internal book data and not lag. RealTick is told that MarketMakers-- your level 2 windows-- should by default look for the &Level2& attribute to which to connect. We have been removing this attribute from $QUOTES$. Thus if your MMakers had never been touched, they would automatically have pointed themselves to the new server class. If, however, you modified your settings and pointed the level 2 portion of your MMakers to $QUOTES$, you would have continued to receive data in your Level 2 because these still contained Level 2 data. However it is no longer your best source. Your best bet is to point the Level 2 portions of anything-- MMakers and 3rd party apps-- to &Level2&. This should have the result of automatically picking the correct class. As to why somebody told you to point your MMaker to quotes a few months ago, I have no idea. The result should have been nothing back then, and detrimental now.

Thanks,
    Josh Moses
    Townsend Analytics

#19     Nov 14, 2002
  10. Sounds like a worthwhile tool. If you need help, please don't hesitate to give us a call-- (800)997-9630 ext. 3.

Thanks,
    Josh Moses
    Townsend Analytics

#20     Nov 14, 2002