Realtick 7.7

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by waggie945, Oct 3, 2003.

1. hans130

hans130

sometimes u dont always get what u pay for.

#11     Oct 14, 2003
  2. Lancer

Lancer

So far I don't see any material advantage to 7.7 over 7.6.

Yesterday:
    The 7.7 news server news01 failed on RT startup over multiple program restarts, so there was no news until late in the day when the issue was fixed on the server end. The prices server, *reco06 stopped and restarted multiple times. There were several global page refreshes. (so far, no different than 7.6 behavior). Something new though was missing data in tables.

Today:
    Some early trouble with news server news03, but OK for the rest of the day. Starting about 10:50 ET, prices server *reco05 stopped, restarted, then provided severely delayed data for almost an hour. It was completely unusable. Still missing data in tables. In post-market, noticed that emini /ESZ3 and /NQZ3 charts are not restarting until the old time of 4:45 ET; should restart at 4:30 ET per new CME hours. Also in post-market, upon changing a symbol on an equities chart, the chart goes blank ("No data returned yet"). Noticed a lot of similar comments by others all day in IRC trader channels; (no charts, etc.).

As to the GUI improvements, well, there's very very little.

#12     Oct 14, 2003
  3. Lancer

Lancer

Day 3: More of the same.

Equities charts failed to start plotting data at the open and flatlined. On symbol change or reload, charts failed to display data. When charts were working, it was extremely slow window updating after symbol change; windows appeared blank and unresponsive for minutes. Same unresponsiveness for the price montage in the marketmaker window. Same unresponsiveness when double-clicking on a headline to display news stories. After a symbol change, and historical data displayed, charts failed and flatlined from that point forward (no realtime data). More missing data on tables. Periodically all day, data was delayed by up to 5 minutes; (compared side-by-side with eSignal and IB). After hours, emini index futures charts failed to restart at 4:30 ET, and instead restarted at the old time of 4:45.

So, 7.7 has problems. No question, stick with 7.6 until 7.7 is reliable. With the data problems, lack of material improvements, and nearly all long-standing issues on my list unaddressed, 7.7 is another disappointing release. This is particularly curious this time because almost a year has passed since the release of 7.6 (Oct. '02). That's an awful long time for not much.

#13     Oct 15, 2003
  4. Catoosa

Catoosa

7.6 has been working great for me other than the down time of the "crash".

#14     Oct 16, 2003
  5. Anyone have issues with 7.7 today or was it just me? Had to reboot at end of the day after system froze. I was lucky to be able to get out of a couple of trades. For some reason this release really seems to bog my system down.

#15     Oct 20, 2003
  6. arnegr

arnegr

my review of real tick was the latest build.

my problem was that i like many of the features of real tick, that one can get the ny book, the minders are flexible, the charts work pre and post market, etc, but unfortunately i believe real tick tried to save money by not upgrading their servers, which they appear to be doing now, but in pieces.

it is truly a shame.

i think i am going to try neovest next time, only question is whether they have pre and post market charts.

#16     Oct 26, 2003
  7. hayman

hayman

RealTick 7.7 was rushed out the door by senior management, as a response to the big crash several weeks back. It is very raw, with numerous bugs. I migrated up to V7.7 on their first available release, and here is a list of bugs I found (that didn't exist in V7.6):

- My V7.7 session died several, and did NOT failover

- ALERTS did NOT fire off today, unless I restarted my session

- Level 1 data fed off TAL DDE was incorrect on many occasions.
    This included Bid, Ask, Bid Size, previous day close, etc.

- Lot size of "0" displayed for many bids/offers on Level II screens

- NYSE Open Book, displayed lots sizes with trailing '00's, even if
    option set to not display them. This did NOT occur on the
    montage screen, which caused for a viewable inconsistency.

- Upgrade to V7.7 from V7.6 failed to migrate setting properly
    (both fonts and screen settings were not retained in some
    cases)

Anyway, the above was unacceptable, so I rolled back to V7.6. I mailed them this list, so I hope these problems are rectified. Since I did, there have been 2 bug fix releases - haven't looked at them yet. I'm going to let V7.7 mature, before I decide to move to it.

#17     Oct 26, 2003