Really stupid question

Discussion in 'Options' started by nodelta, Mar 19, 2004.

1. #11     Mar 22, 2004
  2. ktm

ktm

FX,

I had some YMs as well. Those were flushed out on Thursday night's IB statement and my account credited Friday morning. That part worked pretty well from where I sit.

#12     Mar 22, 2004
  3. Fine, then it worked as expected for OYM.

Still wondering why options on ES seem to be
    processed in a different way than options on YM.

Or did IB remove options on ES also on Thursday from customers´ accounts ?

#13     Mar 22, 2004
  4. nodelta

nodelta

Worked out for me also.

The fact that i was short some YM puts, thinking my margin would be safe, caused me to overhedge a bunch in the YM June contract going into friday's close (net short over weekend after es settlement) to compensate for the ES Put margin requirment.

Needless to say, i was pleasantly surprised this morning.

I guess IB helped me out in this instance.

#14     Mar 22, 2004
  5. ktm

ktm

My understanding is that the ES settlement price is determined by the "special opening" on Friday morning for the Mar/Jun/Sep/Dec expirations. The figure is often not available until later in the day, but you can put in a pretty good guess based on the opening. I assumed the YM worked the same, but I guess not as IB closed my YMs with a 10308 settlement per my Thursday statement.

#15     Mar 22, 2004
  6. ktm

ktm

Followup on the last post. YM settlements should work the same as ES. Turns out, IB screwed up and used the closing from 3/18 to settle and remove the contracts. They should have used the Friday special opening, which was roughly 18 points lower. I didn't question any of this until this past Friday, when a credit showed up on my statement with the only explanation being "adjustment". After several emails, chats and phone calls this morning, I learned why they were throwing money my way.

It would still be nice to have some sort of notification, or better yet a corrected statement (for the auditors who aren't fond of mystery money appearing in the account under the term "adjustment".)

#16     Mar 29, 2004