REALLY believing you WILL do something

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Gordon Gekko, Sep 9, 2003.

1. mojo59

mojo59

Ain't it great to know that their are an unlimited number of new up and coming site members who are negative and downright cruel. Oh well, if putting people down makes you feel better......

#31     Sep 9, 2003
  2. Scientist and tripak make good points.

GG is difficult for me to understand.

The skills a person needs to justify confidence are hard for some people to come by.

The Tiger quote only works for a skilled person.

Tad James works for me vis a vis NLP but the NLP only works if you have skills or away to acquire skills. I work on NLP with my partner who is trained. we agree strongly that there must be a quality context. Nothing appears from nowhere.

To execute over and over successfully, you need to, very deeply, have all the pieces working. Deep means thoroughly to me; like having an excellent understanding of the place.

My pieces for executing over and over shape up as: data gathering, analysis, decision making and action. I can't execute without getting all four parts to work deeply. My confidence comes mostly because from not omitting any of the pieces. Then I simply feel good and secure because I always do the technical things to get ready to use my NLP pictures to decide then act. It slows everything down so much as I monitor the markets then "see" that I must execute one more time.

What GG is saying seems very peripheral to the heart of the matter. I think sales people give themselves some confidence by the acrary equation. Being successful in trading comes from getting the job done.

#32     Sep 9, 2003
  3. This is an interesting point

Humans are the only creature on earth that doesn't know when to cut its losses.

We are also the only creature in the animal kingdom that suffers from pride and ego. And these things can make people do stupid things.

Runningbear

#33     Sep 9, 2003
  4. although most people probably view that as a negative for arnold, i don't at all.

i've never used steroids and i never will. however, if someone else chooses to, who cares? who am i to say what someone else should do with their body? arnold weighed the pluses and minuses of using steroids and made a decision to use them. if it helped him and he accepted the risks of what it could possibly do to his body, how can you argue with that? when i drive in a car i accept the risk i could get in an accident. but i'd rather go where i want to go, than not go and avoid the risk. well arnold wanted the best bodybuilding results possible and tried steroids, accepting the risk.

i think most people have been told steroids are bad their whole life, so now they just accept it as the ultimate truth. but if you think about it, BIG DEAL.

p. s. i do think testing for steroid use is ok, though, so that there can be fairness in sports.

#34     Sep 10, 2003
  5. Arnold, Bruce Lee, sure once they have reached the star status they can always say that but I bet the number of actors that also say that and don't achieve anything must be great great number :D.

I agree with that except that I use visualisation technique only AFTER I have WORKED VERY MUCH to be able to do so ! I have already said if you do the inverse by having too high expectation you will get discouraged. The path must be CONCRETE not just WISHFULL THINKING only.

#35     Sep 10, 2003
  6. no one in their right mind would say WISHFUL THINKING ONLY is what makes success.

as for arnold, i saw a video of him on fox news. he was in his 20s and interviewed by geraldo rivera. he said something like he was going to become a movie star. you're right, many people say that and don't succeed, but that's how it starts for those that do.

#36     Sep 10, 2003
  7. Bwahahahahaha...

This thread is funny...

Hopefull and wishfull thinking of hopefull and wishfull minds...

Get it?

#37     Sep 10, 2003
  8. Concrete is a good word for decribing the starting point for getting confident once you have poured the conctrete for the foundation etc. That was what was puzzling me about GG. He hasn't done any work yet it looks like.

#38     Sep 10, 2003
  9. i don't want to be combative, but how could you possibly know this? i've been trading since 1999. i have not complained about my trading in months. back when i complained a lot, i was just stressed out and frustrated. besides, has it ever occurred to anyone here that i don't want to publicly discuss how i actually trade? you shouldn't assume i've done no work because i don't talk about the details of my trading.

#39     Sep 10, 2003
  10. Cool post. "A trader looks. A trader FEELS. A trader acts." As a trader feeleth . . . .

#40     Sep 10, 2003