REALLY believing you WILL do something

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Gordon Gekko, Sep 9, 2003.

1. i really don't know how to explain it, but something that i think is SO important is truly believing that you WILL accomplish something that you want to do. there are many quotes about this, but basically they all say the same thing.

arnold has some good ones:

'We all have great inner power. The power is self-faith. There's really an attitude to winning. You have to see yourself winning before you win. And you have to be hungry. You have to want to conquer.' - arnold schwarzenegger

"The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent." - arnold schwarzenegger

bruce lee:

"Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as a reality. To me, defeat in anything is merely temporary, and its punishment is but an urge for me to greater effort to achieve my goal. Defeat simply tells me that something is wrong in my doing; it is a path leading to success and truth." - Bruce Lee

if you start to REALLY think like this, you can become very powerful. the problem is really convincing yourself. anybody can read these quotes and agree with them, but how many really are 100% confident they will do something? i don't know how you convince yourself, but there must be ways to do it if people do it. i've done it to myself on some issues, but i don't even know how i did it. like i don't even know why i believe i will accomplish certain things, but i do know that i will.

for me, i think maybe lifting weights changed me forever. i say this because when i first started years ago, i hated that i had so much work to do. like i knew it could take years to get how i wanted to be. well i never quit and just kept at it. i'm talking every day for years i told myself I WILL DO IT. i did not doubt myself. it was not like, MAYBE i'll do it. i KNEW i would; it was just a matter of time--how long would it take. the whole time i just kept telling myself the day IS going to come when i'm how i want to be. now years have passed and now i AM how i said i was going to be. this changed me forever. i have applied this to trading, too. i absolutely know i'm going to make it. it does not matter what anyone else says. i know that the day IS going to come...and it really will!!

2. cassidy

cassidy

Good thoughts. Isn't what you speak of more an unspoken quality though? A silent self-knowledge, not a public bludgeoning of oneself. Just take care not to let your good intentions block you from being honest with yourself. Fear of failure may be addressed, but only if its possibility is allowed within the conscious mind.

All the best,
    Cassy

3. There is a difference between courage and ignorant.

4. so, who's ignorant?

5. Q

As a result, I believe that there are three major differences between justified confidence and misplaced confidence.

First at all, justified confidence comes from a constellation of beliefs, such as the one I just desribed. If a trader has confidence and nothing else, he is probably in a lot of trouble.

Second, justified confidence comes from extensive testing of some sort of model of trading. If you don't have a model that you have properly tested, then your confidence is probably misplaced.

Third, justified confidence comes with an extensive commitment to being successful as a trader. Most people who want to be traders are not committed - they just think they are.

--- Dr Van K Tharp (Market Wizards of Jack D Schwager)

UQ

:)

6. Dear GG,

Great! You're on your first step to ultimate success!

I have been writing quite a bit about this particular subject - Self-programming and self-fulfilling prophecy of the mind. Some of which you can find in my "personal background" thread. I think you've replied there already - Peruse it once more for the determination principles and feel free to ask me questions as to how I do it.

What I would recommend you for now regarding "how do I make myself do it":

Easy: Do an NLP course!

It will be the best money ever spent in your trading career-to-be and if you understand the NLP principles really well, you're halfway there.

I recommend you do a government-certified NLP-course with INLPTA, you can find one in your region at www.inlpta.com

I have had an NLP coach for years now and I'm about to start another NLP Master Practitioner course on the end of Sep. It's lots of fun, I can really recommend it. You can be a new person!

For now, I would recommend you to read / print out / reread "As a man thinketh so is he" by James Allen. Here is a link:

http://website.lineone.net/~jamesallen1/think.htm

Best Compliments and Good Luck to You!
    ~Scientist

7. Q

Generally, I find that top traders believe:

* Money is NOT important.
    * It is OK to lose in the markets.
    * Trading is a game.
    * Mental rehearsal is important for success.
    * They've won the game before they start.

Although there are a lot more than five critical beliefs, I think these five are among the most important.

--- Dr Van K Tharp (Market Wizards of Jack D Schwager)

UQ

8. REALLY believing you WILL do something without a basis in fact to back it up is mostly fantasy. its mostly immature people without life experiences who believe they can do anything without a basis in either experience or education to back it up. i think it comes from watching too much american tv where everything is solved successfully in an hour program.
    you can believe all you want that you are going to get rich trading but if you don't take the time to lay the groundwork through some kind of learning curve the market has a surprise for you.

9. i don't want this thread to be about me. i started it to discuss how our minds work and how our thoughts impact our lives (in all areas, not just trading).

anyone who suggests that i am not capable of trading will not get a reply from me. no one here is in the position to know who i really am, where i'm at, what i know, or what i'm not capable of.

#10     Sep 9, 2003