Reality based coin-tosser method that beats 95% of traders in the world.

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Whisky, Oct 16, 2009.

1. How about you dont close it, just keep flipping the position on a change of the coin toss,

#41     Oct 16, 2009
  2. Whisky

Whisky

Yes. That's how it is setup according to the rules. Always a position long or short. If the coin comes up the same direction as the previous day you just stay with the position (or add or substract if you have a size management algo).

But it is intended to be a day trading method, that's why I wrote the rules that way with an exit at the end of the day, that maybe can be improved upon.

#42     Oct 16, 2009
  3. u21c3f6

u21c3f6

To keep this mechanical, only flip sides if your side has a loss of value from the previous session. Cuts losses and lets winners run.

Now whether there will be enough "trends" to overcome the extra tic can only be proven going forward.

Joe.

#43     Oct 16, 2009
  4. Whisky

Whisky

So you are basically saying to fire the coin tosser and follow the market close versus previous day?.

I'm not sure that system is 50-50. It might be or it might be better or worse. I know the original system is 50-50 minus comms. and hence a small loser.

You are basically replacing the coin-tosser with another decision system. That's valid, but you'll need to prove to yourself and others that your new logic generates at least 1 extra tic per day of profit on average.

#44     Oct 16, 2009
  5. u21c3f6

u21c3f6

No, we are not firing the coin tosser. The coin tosser still tosses the coin but you only switch if there is a loss of value from the previous session.

ie. We bought and the value is down. If the coin is heads we hold on, if tails we switch because there is a loss of value.

We bought and value is up, we would hold regardless of what side of the coin is tossed and vice versa.

Joe.

#45     Oct 16, 2009
  6. Whisky

Whisky

OK. So you basically add another logic statement to the coin-tosser decision. I think this is an interesting variation that merits testing to see if an average extra tic per day or more can be gained on average. Do you want to do that?.

You are basically changing the exit rules.

#46     Oct 16, 2009
  7. Take ur capital and divide it into ten parts.

Use a system of price points whose distance is pegged to a volatility grid.

Whatever the coin says, deploy an array of orders in that direction to pyramid the trend.

Wash, rinse, and repeat.

#47     Oct 16, 2009
  8. Whisky

Whisky

I only understand your first statement.

The rest is not clear and hence useless unless you clarify it.

You would have to prove to yourself and others that you gain at least an extra tic per day on average using the new rules.

#48     Oct 16, 2009
  9. i4i

i4i

What happens should you get a monster U-turn the following day where you initially find yourself in-the-money but end the day as a loser?

#49     Oct 16, 2009
  10. deaddog

deaddog

To keep losses at a minimum and let profits run; at the end of the day if you show a loss, get out. If you have a profit, hold the position. Let the prior days extreme be your exit.

Exit losers quickly and ride the trend.

#50     Oct 16, 2009