Realistic Return %

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ric, May 27, 2005.

1. flyers&divers

flyers&divers Guest

ric,

You would do well if you forgot about the idea that you will have steady income from trading. Don't plan on it.
    If you are talented and apply yourself diligently it may come, but it won't be a straight path and it will take a while to find out.

Today info, knowledge are cheap and readily available and commisions are low so you can shorten your learning curve but surprises await you.

They are all kinds of factors that affect a trader's performance beside market conditions.

I am going to use my personal example:

I have started trading stocks in the late sixties and drifted into commodities. In the first couple of years I have lost small sums of money (could not afford to loose more otherwise I would have)regularly but after a wile I started to have incredible runs but I kept giving it back. This improved. At some point I became a commodity broker but later I gave that up and got my own seat on the floor and had astronomical returns.

So here I was, sitting on almost a mil. on my fourth year on the fllor and I stopped making money. That year that I made like $20.000.
    I t was so stressful (not loosing mind you, but not making money) that I got ulcers and gave it up rather than destroy myself.
    Here is the paradox: When I had nearly nothing I performed well and when I was loaded it did not click.

I did not go near the markets until a few years ago again. My performance is even, but here I am with 35 yrs of trading experience and I have to concentrate more on controlling myself than figuring out the markets.

There will be a good ending to this. I have put together a realistic mechanical system. and I am organizing a team to trade it so that I can not blow it.

Unlike in any other endeavor in trading only the sky is the limit but your personal attributes create the gravity.

No one can keep you from making gazillions of dollars but yourself.

:)

#51     May 30, 2005

2. Thats quite a journey. I bet many can relate to it. Its amazing how many times success or failure always come down to "not getting in your own way".

#52     May 30, 2005
  3. ric

ric

I like this line from your post, makes the point very clear.

"Unlike in any other endeavor in trading only the sky is the limit but your personal attributes create the gravity."

Thank you for your input.

I have the ability to be very emotionless, like a steel eyed monster and just execute. How do I know this? I am also into the martial arts, and have sparred much bigger and or faster opponents on semi contact level. The only way I can compete with these individuals is to not let my emotions dictate what I do, especially when I get hit, and let my training make me proceed with the tactic most likely to get me the win, despite the fact that in the back of my head a little voice is screaming get the F out of here, or this kid is waaaay to fast for you....

Anyways, we'll see how long I can stave off the greed or fear monsters. Hopefully they won't kick me around to much before I can learn something useful.

#53     May 30, 2005
  4. gnome

gnome

Trading can seem even more difficult than fighting a superior opponent.

When you get hit, you get a bruise... which will mostly be gone in a week.

Trade poorly enough and you may find yourself eating from the dumpster.

#54     May 30, 2005