Realistic consistent daily profit goals

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Teycir, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Roark

Roark

Substitute the word "think" or "hope" for "know". You don't know Jack. He's the dude that claimed to capture three times the daily range, but is old and flat broke.

Edit: I'll be damned. Another Jack Hershey thread has been bumped up to the front and is 208 pages long.

#11     Apr 27, 2011
  2. achilles28

achilles28

Depends on the edge.

Some edges are net profitable over 12 months.

Some are net profitable over 1 month.

Some are net profitable over 1 week.

Some are net profitable every day.

Then, results are stratified according to daily return: between 1% and ....XX%?? :D

#12     Apr 27, 2011
  3. To track my profitability, I simply record my accounts equity at the close of every week in a spreadsheet. This allows me to calculate a number of statistics. I do the same for my trades, I record them all by strategy so I can see what is working as expected, and what is not. Limiting downside risk is more important to me than maximizing gains - I don't even use margin, much less day trading margin.

#13     Apr 27, 2011
  4. jokepie

jokepie

Does it matter, areyou going to stop if you made 1 % in the first 10 minutes. Coz you know a down day is around the corner.
    huh
    Its houdl not be a factor at all..too many parameter. A Loss target makes much more sense to talk about.

#14     Apr 27, 2011
  5. Pauly

Pauly

The rude comments are uncalled for, unwarranted, and unsubstantiated. I stand by my comments. The snarky comments make thoughtful commenters stop bothering to help others and ruin the forums.

#15     May 2, 2011
  6. spindr0

spindr0

I think profit goals are arbitrary and meaningless. You take everything you can book, ride the winners, cut the losers. Some years you'll do fantabulously well ('08-'09). Others will be far lower. The results will have nothing to do with target numbers.

#16     May 2, 2011