Real Vision Review

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by remoteControl, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Just wondering what the consensus is on their subscription. Is it worth it? How is/was your experience? Is their content actionable, etc.

2. CharlesS

CharlesS

Had a trial for a year -- outstanding content & production.

Since most of my trading is technically-driven, I do not need heavy macro povs, which is the main focus of RV. So did not renew.

RV has occasional segments that are focused mainly on technicals -- I found these not so actionable vs doing my own analysis. Exceptions are segments w/ Mike Green & Charlie Mcelligott. But these latter guests fill not more than 5% of the content.

As for the macro content, it's just too much interminable debate about each interviewee's 'investment thesis', of interest mainly to large money portfolio managers -- they need it to reach 'conviction' about their 'investment' decisions, so they can then convince their 'investors' that their 'calls' are prescient.

And interviewees consider RV viewers as potential clients, too, so the viewer is in part being sold -- though in the best way possible, as it's very nuanced analysis, typically challenged by the interviewer. The interviewees are also promoting themselves among their peers.

An individual trader does not need all that, IMO. eg Hugh Hendry and Kyle Bass are always very very interesting, but don't matter to my trading.

For your dose of macro, find the people on the free RV content at youtube, and then add those people to your twitter follows, and look at their websites/blogs. Over time, you'll decide which macro analysts are of interest to you.

Also, you'll find lots of absolutely outstanding macro analysis for free at macrovoices.com -- I recommend it highly as an alt to RV.

To your question below, I did not find Mcelligott's research actionable beyond understanding that a particular moment may be a probable inflection point; it does make sense to me as far as I can follow it.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    cruisecontrol likes this.
  3. Thanks for your thoughtful review! And good ideas as well re: twitter/youtube.

On a related note, McElligott is always so over my head that I wonder if he even knows what he's talking about. From what I can tell, most of his likely scenarios/predictions regarding CTA positioning, gamma feedback loops, etc from this year have not panned out, but my understanding is limited. I just wonder how he "knows." Do you find his research actionable?

4. Atikon

Atikon

I'm mostly interested in Options and liked it, it's a Dollar for 30 Days so what's the harm in trying? They publish some of their highlights on youtube eventually, so might want to look into those first.

5. Do you subscribe? I did the trial years ago when it first started, and at the time it was much less relevant to me. But I'm thinking it over again...particularly the pro membership...not sure if it's worth it.

6. Atikon

Atikon

TBH the youtube highlights are enough for me, the interviews are decent, but i didn't subscribe beyond the trial, bc you can find most of the highlights I'm interested in on their youtube page (subbed there)

7. If you are interested in it, you can also take their trials to get an idea about their content. If you like it, you can get a paid subscription.