Real Trading Strategies

Discussion in 'Trading' started by downtickboy, Sep 14, 2002.

1. BINGO! You said it, jack...

#31     Sep 15, 2002

2. Well from the traders I know and see a lot of what they are doing is not shown in a book. For instance there are not a lot of good books on trading NYSE stocks. Besides its seems like all strategies go thru cycles of working and not working. A lot of the books give the general basics of buy the breakout ect. By the way I have read several good and bad books. If all the info was in the books then why would traders be so reluctant to say how they are trading. I have not read anything like the GNP used by Praetorian2. Let me state that I am not an E-trade/Ameritrade type trader.

#32     Sep 15, 2002
  3. When I read your first post it seemed like you were questioning why I would write a thread seeking this type of advice because no one is going to share unless they get something out of it. Which may well be very true. I am trying to find the ones that will. I have had a couple real posts, but mostly generic answers and people giving me back questions instead of answers or replies to the topic. It is getting frusterating trying to get any real info. Nitro was kind of right so far about most of the posts here on ET.

#33     Sep 15, 2002
  4. Does not seem like too broad of an answer. I am sure there are certain strategies you use and look for during the trading day. If you were going to write a book then they are probably would not be effected by sharing one of them here.

About me starting this thread, there are a few reasons. First I am trying to see if coming to ET is really a waste of my time. It is mostly advertisement and I am afraid a lot of posts by people who don't trade, don't make money, and for some reason come here with multiple alias to talk to themselves. A lot of the info being dished out by these people sounds like they are quoting a book or it does not have credibility because they do not trade themselves. I have been trading for two years and at this point make money every month but of course I want to make more. If I am not making a certain amount the opportunity cost does not work out right because of the unstablility of trading. I love trading but I also enjoy vacations and all the other stuff that comes from making more money or having a more stable life. I realized awhile ago that my strategy that I learned thru some traders I traded with was becoming more obsolete as time passed. I needed to change which I have been doing. I was hoping to start some dialoge with traders that were doing better than I was trading differently than I was. If I am not making $400 or $500 average a day or working up to it then it is not worth doing it on a full time basis as I am doing now.

#34     Sep 15, 2002
  5. easyrider, For me there sure is. Especially if I have worked really hard at something. It usually involves many mistakes and countless deadends. Then when it is all done I say, "It would have been easy if I had done it the right way from the start."

Well, I can't go back in time and start over, but if you can help somebody else avoid the mistakes and deadends, it is just like being able to go back in time.

(besides, I don't think any of us talk freely about what is working for us currently, and if what we are using has any value, then we would probably already know that it's no secret.)

#35     Sep 15, 2002

6. I like your point of view on the subject.

#36     Sep 15, 2002
  7. Kymar

Kymar

That's a matter of some debate in these parts. I tend to agree with you, but, in addition to whatever risk there might conceivably be the future tradability of something that happens to be working right now, there might be several other reasons as well for an individual not to want to go into them in public.

Probably. Works for me as a diversion, sometimes as a way to test my own thinking about something or another. Sooner or later, though, the site usually starts to get depressing.

If you told us what you were doing that was working well enough to be profitable but not quite returning what you were hoping for, we MIGHT be able to give you some suggestions.

If, on the other hand, you're reluctant to describe your strategy in detail, then you can't really question why others might also be...

#37     Sep 15, 2002
  8. silk

silk

There is benefit from helping others. You learn by teaching. Helps you figure out what you are doing right. Trying to put your strategy into words often brings about new revelations.

The problem is that trading strategies are very complicated and can't really be summarized in a few posts.

My trading decisions are based on dozens of variables. I've tried to explain some of this. I know that if certain variables come in line then they should produce a profitable trading opportunity. To be a succussful trader your brain has to be trained to take in and analyze all of these variables in mere moments.

No 2 trading scenarios are completely identical. But many scenarios are very similar and often will produce a similar result.

I'm not sure that it is really possible to teach another person my system of trading. Because so much of it is "feel". Every person "views" the market differently. I view the market based on having watched the market every day for the past 4 years. How do i teach someone that experience. To be a great trader i think you have to be able to feel the "life blood" of the market. My biggest day ever was the day the market bottomed in July. I could feel the mkt turn. I knew i had to buy the market when it was down, and then buy like crazy as futures crossed to unchanged. Then i knew i had to hold for 20 more sp500 ponts. I'm not sure how you can teach that to some one else.

All i can really hope to teach to another trader are the basics. The stuff written in books like, don't fight the trend. Add to winners early, don't average down. Buy stocks that don't want to go down. Use these time tested techniques as the backdrop for your system. Then tweak it with short term trading tools like TOS and level 2 ect.

#38     Sep 15, 2002
  9. Exactly ...

#39     Sep 15, 2002
  10. acrary

acrary

Here's one of my specific systems using 3 min. ES bars.

First trade of day is only taken in the direction of the open, so if the market gaps down, my first trade will be on the short side.

After that,

Buy at highest high of last 6 bars.
    Sell at lowest low of last 6 bars.

Exit long at lowest low of last 4 bars.
    Exit short at highest high of last 4 bars.

Close all open positions at the end of the day.

After every 1k per-contract in losses, increase the number of contracts traded by 1 until a trend happens again and the account sets a new equity high.

Not very exciting, but does make consistent money. Of course I have a large account, so I can withstand drawdowns from many losses. No edge...but I don't need one for this to work.

#40     Sep 15, 2002