Real-time trades

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Jack Haddad MD, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Hello Board,

It is my hope that this new thread will invite traders to post their trades in real time for others to see and comment.

This morning, I bought the following:

1. Bought 500 Nem at 45.85
    2. Bought 20 JBLU DEC puts, strike 17.50 at 1.50 per contract.
    3. Bought 1000 shares of RIM at 77.46, and sold 10 oct calls, strike 70 at 8.60 per contract.

Jack

2. hi jack

whats your typical time horizon on your trades?

many of the posters here are not holding overnight

you probably will do better than them if you have
    a defined strategy with proper risk / reward
    over time and without overleveraging yourself

what percentage of your "risk" capital is at risk
    on these trades or any trades you do at anyone time?

PS ... you do realize you have some risk here in your positions even though you probably have
    spent sometime rationalizing why they will turn out ok for you.

good luck ...

:)

3. HI Seth,

My trading behavior goes against the priniciples of many. I don't set stop losses to bail out of a trade, rather i like my trades to pan out. Yes, weird but it has worked for years.

First, I never trade anything that I'm not willing to hold. Second, if a particular trade goes against me, then I resort to dollar cost averaging. This strategy has done me the justice that I deserve.

I will comment on my trades as I execute them.

Jack

4. Rimm next resistance is 79.85. If it successfully breaches that ressistance, lookout for 84. The 3 months chart shows solid support at 70.

5. Hi Jack

a friend of mine has made money "averaging down" in SIRI the last 1-2 yrs ... selling on the
    rallies ...

so that strategy can still sometimes work

but he also has buried deep down in his portfolio

2 stocks that went bankrupt ... so be careful !

:)

6. Hi Seth,

I'm just curious, what were the companies that went bankrupt. That possibility is always there.

7. Pair NEM
    Time Fram Tue 09/27/05 10:30 AM Tue 10/04/05 04:41 PM 174 Hours
    Trend North
    Enter 44.2889 43.5476 42.8062 42.0648
    PT 51.8794 52.3736 52.8679 53.3621
    S/L 38.3579 31.6854 25.0129 18.3405
    Trail (Deci) 0.3410 0.3417 0.3423 0.3428

Not Sure Jack...got this from my system
    ...Week Horizon I guess

8. hi kalzayani

pardon me for saying this but
    your numbers ... at least for NEM are totally out of whack in my opinion for a one week time horizon

:p

9. Hi Kalzayani,

UNLIKE AN ACTUAL PERFORMANCE RECORD, SIMULATED RESULTS DO NOT REPRESENT ACTUAL TRADING. ALSO, SINCE THE TRADES HAVE NOT ACTUALLY BEEN EXECUTED, THE RESULTS MAY HAVE UNDER- OR OVER-COMPENSATED FOR THE IMPACT, IF ANY, OF CERTAIN MARKET FACTORS, SUCH AS LACK OF LIQUIDITY. SIMULATED TRADING PROGRAMS IN GENERAL ARE ALSO SUBJECT TO THE FACT THAT THEY ARE DESIGNED WITH THE BENEFIT OF HINDSIGHT.

10. Choad

Choad

Selling the 70 Oct Puts instead of the cov call is much more margin efficient, and still has the same r/r and p/l graph.

But I will agree that sometimes it makes sense, and the fact is it is very easy to over-lever with NPs. Doing the CCs makes sense with that in mind. And if you are going to trade around the stock position for a while.

Still, I would never do CCs, especially ITM, unless I owned a stock already and I wanted to sell it.

This is all JMHO. Obviously you have done this for a while and are comfortable with the results. Any way you can make money in the markets works for me! :)

Good trading to all.

C

#10     Sep 27, 2005