Real Time/Scheduling

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by mpalma149, Sep 29, 2009.

1. mpalma149

mpalma149

I've been living in NYC for 3 years working as an energy operations analyst for a Top Tier IB. I want to move upwards toward a FO position, but realize that is quite difficult to do. I've heard that it would be easier to enter this field as a scheduler or RT trader for a smaller shop. I can't seem to find any open job positions in my area.. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. monty09

monty09

we had 6 real time jobs open at my firm for two days. and we had over 300 resumes with over 50 being over 4 years of exp so honestly its pretty damn tough right now to get one of those jobs.

3. monty09

monty09

your not going to find jobs in nyc.. jaron does not hire from bo for rt even through they are looking for a guy now (I chatted with a few people there last week) mscg also is pretty tough to get a job even with them needing an ercot guy now as well. you may have to leave nyc to get a job.

aces
    hass
    pbe
    endure
    fpl
    mirant
    tva

all the mentioned firms are hiring for rt

4. mpalma149

mpalma149

Thanks,

Are these jobs not typically found in NY and surrounding area? or do you think current market conditions have have affected these types of jobs in my area? I wouldn't mind relocating for a better opportunity and more experience but am still weighing my options

5. pwrtrdr

pwrtrdr

all of the above are shit birds in my opinion- they dont trade like the IB's or funds, don t get your hopes up for some seven figure income bonus combination not that its bad, but many confuse them with trade shops, like the media gets brokers and traders confused

6. monty09

monty09

and you do what again?

7. nitro

nitro

I am curious, what does a Real Time/Scheduling do?

8. CET

CET

It appears he is referring to a real time (hourly) power/electricity trader or scheduler. At some places the duties are separate and at some places one person does both.

9. nitro

nitro

Thanks for the response, but I am still confused. Would this be a job with a utility company?

10. CET

CET

It could be the utility companies (Exelon, Southern Company), independent power producers (IPPs) (Calpine, Mirant, NRG) or marketers.

#10     Oct 23, 2009