Real-time scanner & alerts based on indicators

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by cunparis, Feb 24, 2008.

1. I'm looking for a real-time scanner capable of sending email alerts so that I can get them while at work and place a trade via the web.

My main criteria is that I can specify the criteria. I was going to go with trade-ideas but I haven't found a way to put indicators such as MACD or stochastics.

I'd like this scan to be done against a watch list. I plan to compile this watchlist myself (EOD scanning + my own criteria such as favorite stocks).

I'm not sure if I should use a software on my PC or if I should use something online. I am pretty sure I can do it with NinjaTrader (market analyzer + custom indicator code + email http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/HelpGuideV6/helpguide.html?SendMail1), but I'm new at it and leaving it run unattended on my computer will be more difficult to test it.

I'm also considering quotetracker. From what I saw, has canned alerts such as price and volume and can't do the customization that I want (please let me know if this isn't the case).

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. In the meantime I'm going to try coding something in NinjaTrader. It's going to be a big learning curve for me but once I get it, it should be ok.

PS: I also looked at stockfetcher but it doesn't appear to be realtime..

PSS: Currently looking at neoticker too. A bit costly though.

2. I am also trying to find something simmilar... telechart and metastocks are the best BUT are very expensive. I have QT but they are not know for scanning.

telechart -89$/mo, meta -135 $/mo

3. I wouldn't mind paying $100 if one application did it all but from what I see each application has its specialty. And we need to subscribe to several to get everything. That's what makes all this so much fun! (sarcasm).

I found out that QuoteTracker will do it. The alerts that I thought were limited were the protfolio alerts. In order to do something custom, a paintbar is necessary and then an alert can be attached to it. I'm going to try it out tomorrow I don't have any more time for today.

I hear good things about telechart. I'm going to try it out when I have time.

4. Word of warning.

The QT alerts are always a step behind, so if speed of execution is a concern, you might be the last one out the gate on some of your trades.

5. Thanks for the warning. My main criteria is volume and usually when volume moves it moves fast so this could be an issue.

I set up basic volume alerts and will see how they do tomorrow. I'll try the paintbar alerts next.

In the mean time, I'm still open to suggestions. Something like stockfetcher but realtime. I'm not sure it exists. Telechart is still on the list..

Happy Trading!

6. Trade-Ideas is embedded inside QT real-time scanner
    http://www.trade-ideas.com/QuoteTrackerStart.html