Real-Time: eSignal or WealthLab?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Mark Conway, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Shankar

Shankar

I'm not sure about converting from TS2000i to WealthScript but I had little problems converting my TS4 systems to WLD2. I have not looked much at esignal scripting language, but since no other software offers portfolio testing I decided to use WL and it is very good.

#11     Mar 7, 2003
  2. I use both.

#12     Mar 7, 2003
  3. One way to quickly reduce your universe of stocks would be to filter on volume and price. For example, you can get down to about 400 stocks just by specifying an average volume of 500,000 and a price between 10 and 60. Once you apply this initial filter to the entire universe (using the free portion of Stock Fetcher, for example), you can use the resulting 400 stocks in your IRT program or anywhere else that has a limitation.

#13     Mar 9, 2003
  4. pretzel

pretzel

lindq,

There are a lot of WL scripts bearing your name. I was wondering why you switched from WL to IRT.

pretzel

#14     Mar 13, 2003
  5. lindq

lindq

I found many advantages with Investor RT. Much easier to backtest, as there is little or no programming involved. You construct backtesting rules based on existing tokens that represent indicators, then adjust to your liking with menus. Extremely flexible, as you can control every variable quickly. Also, a lot more versatile for trading. You can build quote pages with numerous custom columns, much like MS Excel, and have each signal with alerts based on realtime data. Can couple the quote pages with charts, displaying any number of indicators in whatever style you want. Very fast backtesting. 3 years on 500 stocks in about 10 seconds, as the data is stored on your drive. Also superb customer service. All in all, a very deep and super flexible system.

#15     Mar 13, 2003
  6. nitro

nitro

That is a double edged sword - most programmers would rather have the power to do anything. If the demand was greater, it would not be terribly difficult for the WL people to build an Investor RT type front end that compiles to WS. This way, the non-programmers get their ease, and the programmers get their total control.

nitro

#16     Mar 13, 2003
  7. Can Investor RT be used for futures, mainly Indexes and Bonds ?
    Thanks,
    Walter

#17     Mar 14, 2003
  8. lindq

lindq

I believe IRT can cover just about any financial security or derivative, although I personally trade only stocks and options. Much depends on the data provider you sign with, and they can help with that information. Their number is 800.546.6842.

Web site is http://www.linnsoft.com/index.html

#18     Mar 14, 2003