Real Tick Scanner/Filter

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by cornholetrading, Sep 16, 2002.

1. I spoke with a guy from Neovest and he told me that they do want finally to move everybody to thin but they are working on providing the same filtering capability as the fat client has. Will see. Time will tell.

#61     Oct 2, 2002
  2. Cas,

The idea is to scan the entire market is it not

#62     Oct 2, 2002
  3. I would like to scan the entire market, but how many symbols can I put in a group? Can I import the symbols? I would hate to have to type 5000 symbols in.

#63     Oct 2, 2002
  4. i have over 1100, but.....typed in by hand.

#64     Oct 2, 2002
  5. just21

just21

What type of filters do people find most useful?

#65     Oct 2, 2002
  6. cas

cas

trader963,

Yes, it is...belive me, I totally agree...that is why I'm not totally happy about the switch to "thin" even though I think I can make it do most everything for me.

cas

#66     Oct 2, 2002
  7. Hi all,

I had made a post regarding alerts a few days ago about www.trade-ideas.com. The site is available to all please visit and give some feedback. :D

#67     Oct 3, 2002
  8. First Alert is offered by Bright for 100% sure. Also, they use the full version, the thin version is considered by most to be inadequate. FA has a very powerful filtering system using simple English commands, e.g. here is a filter I use with the command lines in there:

Rules:
    1) last >$20 (last price to trade greater than $20, i.e I only want to trade stocks greater than $20

2) last < $60 (see rule 1)

3) volavg20 > 500,000 (the stocks 20 day average daily volume is greater than 500,000, p.s. you choose any number and there are other periods other than 20 days which you can measure)

4) last < open (current price below where the stock opened today)

5) last < pclose + .25 (last price close to breaking through previous close, you could also say less than p2close or p3, p4 etc.. its very flexible)

6) last < low + .25 (stock trading near its low of the day)

Commands such as Volavg20 are inserted via a drop down menu, you don't have to know how to code such as with Tradestation for example. You could add to this by say requesting that the stock be on track to exceed its avg 50 day volume by say 50%.

This is just an example of how I created a simple short candidate filter. The options are limitless on what you can filter for or scan for. The system is very powerful BUT if you run a complex filter during high volume periods you can easily crash the system. Also I think the charts are poor. Overall I love it though. rgds.

Veni, Vidi, I hit the bid

#68     Oct 4, 2002