Real Tick Scanner/Filter

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by cornholetrading, Sep 16, 2002.

1. cas

cas

Nitro,

I have used the FAT version of FirstAlert for years...and yes, you can scan the entire NYSE without any limitations.....BUT....i just got a letter in the mail that on Oct. 31st, they are stopping the Neovestfeed for the FAT client. You could probably still get the comstock feed..but not sure if that will stay forever. They are moving everyone to THIN by that date. As far as THIN.....it is in many ways better than FAT...but in many ways has distinct disadvantages. Main THIN advantage....no data maintenance issues for the user...main disadvantage....you are limited to Groups you either setup..or use from one of their pre-defined groups and you lose the study capabilities.

Now....here is my problem...FAT worked GREAT.....one of the best tools I have ever used in my trading....but I am not happy with THIN at this point. Mainly because of the Market Maker data..it lags many times..especially on volume spikes. Today for example....the data on a few NYSE stocks was stuck and not moving. So because of this I have to use Cyber for L2 data...so I'm paying for both feeds.

Also, THIN severely limits you in the Study area. as an example...I had FAT look at each of the daily ranges for the last 20 trading days and then give me the 20day avg. range. With thin this is not possible to do.

A few other points...I have done alot of beta testing with Neovest..and they were always great to work with...but on this, I am really disappointed at this point. I am still using it...and will continue into the near future...because there is not much of an alternative. Also, THIN is not the Ideastream product. THIN is basically the old FirstAlert Frontend, but with the data on the neovest servers.(and some limitations) Ideastream was a javabased program.

Well...I could go on and on...but I think I'll go cry in my beer to myself. LOL.

cas

#31     Sep 27, 2002
  2. I couldn't find the thin verson on the website. When I used 1st alert it was 300 month is that the same with thin?

#32     Sep 27, 2002
  3. nitro

nitro

cas,

Thanks for the response.

I don't think that someone with real experience can ever feel bad about "going on." Please continue all you want...I at least will be listening...

nitro

#33     Sep 27, 2002
  4. cas

cas

I don't think that someone with real experience can ever feel bad about "going on." Please continue all you want...I at least will be listening...

LOL.....well....lets just say, I'm going to be losing so many features in FAT, and I'm kinda bummed. The Neovest guys really do try hard to listen to users...but on this one, they are forcing the move. They claim they are losing money on the FAT internet based feed.

If THIN had good MarketMakers I'd be less bummed....but at this point, they are laggy on activity spikes.....sometimes IB's cheesy quotes are ahead....LOL. during the mkt, when nothing is really going on, they(THIN's) match cybers quotes exactly. Everytime I tell Neovest there is a problem with their MMers, they say that no one else is complaining. I have watched just about everyquote feed out there...I can pretty much look at the way the trades are coming in...and tell that on THIN they seem to "pulse" rather than "flow" if that makes sense.

I will be using THIN right now, because I love the charts, and the filters are great...but I will miss the original FirstAlert.

back to my beer.....

cas

ps. send me a PM if you want any help with the demo if you get it.

#34     Sep 27, 2002
  5. nitro

nitro

cas,

Heh, I am signing up for it as we speak. I will PM you when I am up and running.

nitro

#35     Sep 27, 2002
  6. I spoke with the people at Sortwizard today. It sounds like it will do everything I am looking for it to do and is fairly customizable for intraday scans. It works with Realtick. I am going to be signing up for it and see how well it works, but according to the phone conversation and other things I have read it seems to be pretty good. However you never know until you try it yourself.

#36     Sep 27, 2002
  7. Are you sure about this First Alirt to force all users by the end of October to switch to thin client ? I am First Alert user and did not hear anything of this sort yet. How can I find out for sure ?

Thank you.

#37     Sep 27, 2002
  8. nitro

nitro

Please let us know how it worked out...

nitro

#38     Sep 27, 2002
  9. cas

cas

felichka,

I am not sure what their schedule is.......or who all it applies to....but I received a letter from them just a few days ago. This applies to the Ideastrea(Neovest feed) users. They have firstalert for alot of other feeds...but the letter said they were moving FAT Neovest Internet based users to THIN by Oct 31st.

cas

ps. THIN is not "terrible" ....in fact, it runs pretty good....I'm just not happy about losing all of the study fields and being able to scan the whole Nasdaq easily.

#39     Sep 27, 2002
  10. kelly74

kelly74

Can First Alert scan all NYSE and Nasdaq symbols for intraday chart criteria--like a new 10 bar high on a 3 minute chart?

#40     Sep 27, 2002