Real Estate... is this a buy?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bond tr4der, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Doing some basic reasearch, is this the condo in question?

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7920-Merrill-Rd-UNIT-1607-Jacksonville-FL-32277/71042518_zpid/

http://www.realtor.com/search/listi...36988adee23453&lid=1104426041&lsn=3&srcnt=106

Looks pretty nice to me. I don't know anything about Jacksonville and area though to know if it's a good area.

You might want to double-verify that you could really get that much rent for that unit. Since the prices to buy have come down, rents could head in that direction even if they haven't already.

JJacksET4

#11     Dec 28, 2008
  2. Please tell me the general localities where you are doing 24% annual rent revenue vs cost ?

I just picked up these rentals a few months back at 60%+ off peak here in San Diego (with annual yields above 10%) and my cashflow is very generous ... If I choose to funnel all of my revenue back into repaying debt early, I'll be in 100% equity position in 10 years. These were all lowball offers on bank owned foreclosures... Of course, I am managing them myself.

I've leased properties to tenants off and on over the last 5 yrs though...

#12     Dec 28, 2008
  3. trendy

trendy

As a residential property investor for the last 25 years, let me say that is a totally unrealistic. So, In order for me to buy an investment property for say $200,000, I have to get $4,000/mo. rent? Please, please, please, tell me where I can do this. I have 700K in CD/s and MMs, I would love to get $14,000/mo. income buying some rental properties. Get real. Anyone that can pay $4,000 per mo. can get a mortgage and buy their own $200,000 home, and his and hers BMWs.

#13     Dec 28, 2008
  4. By the way, let me add maybe 1.5% is a necessity in most areas since prop taxes, insurance, dwelling and maintenance is much higher than in CA.

#14     Dec 28, 2008
  5. My properties are in Hollywood Beach, FL. As I said, I am extremely conservative and probably looked at and made offers on 100 properties to get these three. But that's okay by me.

As I said, if it works for you, go for it. I prefer to be extremely conservative, which in this economic environment where rents and values will likely continue to fall is the only way I feel comfortable buying properties right now.

In a normal, flat to rising market, I might lower my formula to 1 to 1.5%, but not in this market. But that's just me.

#15     Dec 28, 2008
  6. And in the past 25 years, how many economic environments have you seen like this one? Yup, didn't think so.

I guess I should ignore the fact that I purchased my properties using this formula then?

The facts do not require you to agree with them for them to be true.

The fact is, in this economic environment, whatever the prevailing rents are would dictate the offer I would make on the property. So in your example, no, I wouldn't pay $200k. I'd make a much much lower offer.

#16     Dec 28, 2008
  7. Put me in the camp that doesn't buy what you are saying.

Are you saying that the $150K property you just purchased rents for $3K/month???? That's just not believable.

#17     Dec 28, 2008
  8. Again, the facts do not require you to believe them for them to be true. Believe whatever you wish.

The properties I purchased all happen to be SFR with separate efficiencies/guest quarters, which allow me to have 2 sets of tenants per property.

Getting back to the original poster, given that the prevailing rents are $800/month, all he has to do is offer the bank $50k for the property and the formula works. Will the bank go for it? Maybe not, but then again maybe they will.

You'd be absolutely shocked how desperate sellers are out there. I mean, I just purchased a property for 50% of what the seller was asking, and whose asking price was 50% of what it sold for 4 years ago!

The deals are out there, you just have to be unafraid to make absolutely ridiculously low offers.

#18     Dec 28, 2008
  9. NJ1000

NJ1000

20 percent yield lol yea sign me up too!! U def arent getting that in NY/NJ area

#19     Dec 28, 2008
  10. Please let me where I can find those properties with 1% monthly yield in San Diego. Which area and zipcode? I have been looking in SD for quite some time. Are they older properties that requires a lot of reserve maintenance cost?

I like to buy a rental property in SD now with the plan to move to SD after 5 years.

#20     Dec 28, 2008