Real Estate is dying? Investment-wise what is the next Asset Class Du Jour?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by lrm21, Jul 21, 2004.

1. SlyFlo

SlyFlo

If you can manage properties in Pennsytucky and Padookaville, while living in a decent city in the US, all the more power to you. I was speaking about residential property somewhere in a major city.

A friend of mine knew a mobile home property owner and said getting your rent from them is absurd...like pulling teeth....and residentials in college towns are seasonal (you will not get full yr. rental commitments) and the kids destroy the properties. Not to mention that probability of these types of properties going up in value are not the same as major cities (which are now beyond fully priced) - that's a big IF they go up.

If you like these types of headaches and have the time and energy to manage them, all the more power to you. I know that between the markets and family, there's not much time for me to call the plumber in Kazootown, USA and find out why he didn't snake out the clogged puke in the collegetown 2 bedroom apartment which is inhabited by 8 drugged up jockstraps.

#51     Aug 13, 2004
  2. whats so funny about eastern europe?

#52     Aug 13, 2004
  3. very good point with eastern europe.
    i researched the market in warsaw this summer.
    it is absolutely red hot, problem is not much left to buy.
    all of good layouts and views gone long time ago.

#53     Aug 13, 2004
  4. In case you were wondering, land in parts of Florida just got a lot cheaper in the last 12 hours c.f. Charley.

#54     Aug 13, 2004
  5. Hmm...are there any REITs out there that deal with trailer parks?

#55     Aug 14, 2004
  6. Midas

Midas

RE:"If you can manage properties in Pennsytucky and Padookaville, while living in a decent city in the US, all the more power to you. I was speaking about residential property somewhere in a major city."

You do not have to manage them. You can hire a real estate company to do all of the work. They find the tenants call the plumber, etc.
    :cool:

#56     Aug 20, 2004
  7. About time some sense entered this thread.
    The cost of hiring anyone to manage your property cuts into the profit margins making the investment a whole lot less desirable.

#57     Aug 20, 2004
  8. I have a couple of questions regarding that trailor park community in Florida that was destroyed by Hurricane Charlie.

Who pays to clean up the mess? I'm guessing its the owner of the land.

Do the inhabitants still pay a monthly rent even if their dwellings are nonexitant?

#58     Aug 20, 2004
  9. lrm21

lrm21

Good post. Thanks

#59     Aug 20, 2004
  10. moo

moo

Screwey? Why??

I love to hear this!!

As to real estate, get some lakeside property in Finland. There's nothing more beautiful. :D

#60     Aug 20, 2004