Reagan's Big Spending = Big Bull in 1980s

Discussion in 'Economics' started by richrf, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Arnie

Arnie

The article cited in the OP is partisan BS. Go back and look at the actual numbers. For every $1 increase in military spending, Congress increased non defense spending by $1.03. Also, to say that Obama's plan to spend upwards of a trillion dollars on "infrastructure" isn't inflationary requires, how did Hillary put it?...."the willing suspension of disbelief"

#51     Dec 9, 2008
  2. No thanks. Limbaugh is too partisan for me. He's your obsession.

#52     Dec 9, 2008
  3. Oh, rich....that's just sad. To be ignorant is one thing, but to smear it all over a public message board for all to snicker at does you no favours. Now you sound like your Marxist ideologues. Where oh were did you notice any free market policies in the Bush administration? Name one.

Regulation and government intervention increased during both of Bush's terms and wasn't stopped by the ideologically anti-government republicans. Seems that government is only bad when it's the other guys in power. Next you'll be telling me that Hoover was a free market "do nothing" president.

Too late. That's already happening. In fact, Fannie Mae (an FDR created Depression era monster) was instrumental in creating this mess in the first place. Of course, Obama is planning much of same stuff FDR did to prolong the Depression.

I realize that as a lefty you're not allowed to criticize FDR or the Obamessiah, but your lack of criticism, knowledge of economics and history doesn't change reality. [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh who cares if we never see another Republican in office as long as we have life liberty and pursuit of happiness, our constitution is protected and government is limited? Politics is about serving the country, not serving the two political parties, isn't it?

Besides, check the news today. Democrats have plenty tricky friends to amuse us with. Governer B. threatened to pull $8 million dollars of funding from a hospital if it didn't contribute $50,000 to his campaign? Selling a senate seat?

Hope and Change, indeed. Well, I'm sure Obama is different from all the other Illinois politicians, right? He's the one good one. The One. The Obamessiah.

#53     Dec 9, 2008
  4. richrf

richrf

Personally, I have had enough of "free markets" for a lifetime. You can have what's left of it - a bankrupt nation.

#54     Dec 9, 2008
  5. Okay. Where have you encountered a free market recently?

I'm just asking for one. Since you claim to be surrounded by them, it should be easy to name just one.

One, unregulated market.

#55     Dec 9, 2008
  6. ========================
    Good points;
    :D

And most likely get a or another bear rally on MR Tim othy G, NY-FED head/US Treasury. So Mr B Hussein ''hit the bullseye/bearseye '' on that .

But to compare a tax raiser,military jellyfish like MR. B Husein with R Reagan /freedom fighter, tax cutter ;
    is a jelly belly laugh.

Ps I am not even predicting MR B Hussein will raise taxes;
    even though he said he would:p

Mrs.Maria B. Of CNBC asked mr. B. Hussein loudly ''raise taxes in a recssion???????????????????????"", MR.B Hussein jelly fished again, mumbled ashamedely, something about President R Reagan rates .................................:D

#56     Dec 9, 2008
  7. richrf

richrf

For all intents and purposes, the mortgage market acted as an unregulated market for 10 years. The banks and mortgage lenders could do anything they want. Taking money off the bank balance sheets and move it onto these SIVs and Conduits for the sole purpose of avoiding regulation. Moving the lending into private corporations out sight and scrutiny of federal regulators. How else could undocumented, penniless, people with no skin in the game get hundreds of thousands (in same cases millions) dollars, of OUR bank deposits and use it to buy houses which they have no intention of ever paying for.

Now, that is only part of the little Ponzi scheme, which everyone in the Bush administration knew about, warned about and did nothing about. Why? Because they believe in Free Markets. lol. Maybe, because they have a bunch of naive people running around spouting about Free Markets, while they run off with the goods.

In any case, the scheme doesn't work, unless the investment houses can get into the games. So the investment houses are deregulated (i.e., no one is watching them any longer), and they slice and dice this junk so no one can figure out what is going on. Then they pull in these rating agencies, who are suppose to be regulated and watched over, but while the cats were away (Bush was too busy claiming victory in Iraq to watch the store), the mice did play. In a totally unregulated environment (no laws were broken), the rating agencies, for a good price, rated all of this junk as AAA, allowing the investment houses to get rid of this stuff on the public. It ended up in mutual funds, pension funds, etc. The banks got the gravy, the mortgage lenders got the gravy, the investment houses got a whole turkey dinner, the rating agencies got plenty of leftovers to take home, and the public got the .... Well you know the end of the story.

And that my dear friend, is a sad tale of what happens when you don't regulate the scam artists and let the Free Market work its magic. Or do you believe that Ponzi schemes should be legal? :) lol.

#57     Dec 9, 2008
  8. "Republicans Good, Dems Bad"

"Dems Good, Republicans Bad"

Gotta love those true believers. Sheep for the shearing.
    Too dumb to see theyre always getting trimmed. - - - -

#58     Dec 9, 2008
  9. Rich,

I can't give you a full response now, but I almost choked with with horror at your example of a free market. You are horribly misinformed.

The banking and mortgage industry (including investment banks) is incredibly heavily regulated. When I worked in investment banking, I couldn't go to the bathroom without checking with regulatory compliance first. There is nothing free about the mortgage market.

I'll address your misinformation in detail later.

#59     Dec 9, 2008
  10. Cat scat wrong again. The George W. Bush administration was the epitome of the free market, cheap labor, and globalization. The stock market thrived under those policies of deregulation.

#60     Dec 9, 2008