Reagan 1986 Tax Reform

Discussion in 'Economics' started by HeSaidSheSaid, Oct 21, 2017.

1. it was signed in Oct 1986, then a year later, market crashed -20% on the fateful October day in 1987.

[​IMG]

2. So what is your speculation on this proposed correlation

3. I think this 10 years bull market (from 2008 to 2018) would end on Oct 2018 :) when people realize Trump is a poor leader. He has a midus touch for bankruptcies, and he isn't a "good communicator" like Reagan was. it'd be harder for him to motivate anyone to do anything.

it seems big moneys are unloading the FANG stocks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

murray t turtle likes this.
  4. piezoe

piezoe

upload_2017-10-23_23-19-0.gif

the above uses 1992 data.

Below we see what the effect of taxing unearned income at lower rates than earned income and wringing progressiveness out of the income tax by compressing all the upper brackets into one or two brackets does when compounded over 37 years. This was the Reagan innovation known as "Trickle Down" or "Supply-Side Economic Stimulus" Now we have proposals to do more of this !! At first glance the red curve looks almost linear from ~1980 forward. Closer inspection, however, will show it to be exponential. Although some of the initial Reagan rate compression was undone in later Reagan tax legislation and in subsequent administrations, this only reduced somewhat the rate at which wealth inequality grew, and is still growing. The damage done by supply side economics is still very much with us and still contributing to increasing wealth inequality.
    upload_2017-10-23_23-28-41.png

5. So your bottom line is taxation is theft.. I totally agree!!!

6. piezoe

piezoe

There are countries where the tax burden is low or where the tax laws are not enforced and it is easy to cheat. Why not move to one of those countries if you feel as you do about taxes. It will probably be difficult to find a country where there are no taxes at all to be paid but if you can find a country without its own currency and no government that could be a good choice for you.

7. Remember the American Revolution and why we had it?

8. S2007S

S2007S

Most of the gains are on this talk of this tax reform....I say just keep talking up the tax reform for the next 3 years...every time they mention a hint of passing it the markets make new highs...think about there could be unlimited upside for three striaght years without ever passing it......keep the hype going in this long 9 year old bull market!!!

9. But I thought Americans liked paying taxes...it's the price we pay to live in a civilized society right.

10. piezoe

piezoe

Actually it doesn't matter whether you like paying taxes or not. You're going to work to earn whatever currency your government says it will accept in payment for taxes, because if you don't pay your taxes, the government is going to punish you, and not in a good way.

#10     Oct 24, 2017