Reading volume spikes without volume study

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Kovacs, May 22, 2008.

1. Kovacs

Kovacs

Over the past few months, I've stripped my charts of all studies except for an RSI oscillator and volume.

I'm interested in removing the last two, but I don't know how one can do without volume.

On the 5-min, a volume spike during a trend signals a high-probability of a retracement. How can you tell this without a volume study?

2. what is the motivation for removing the volume study?

3. Drop the RSI Kovacs and it will be one less distraction.
    You could try burying the vol but create a pop signal for a vol spike onto your price chart and then take matters from there.

regards
    f9

4. Lucrum

Lucrum

One option for you may be an equivolume chart.

5. Volatility Analysis and no indicator is needed. :cool:

Use ET search to find old info about it but beware that Baron has a new policy of deleting educational information that's inactive of 3 years or more. :mad:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/search.php?s=

Simply, he may have already deleted the educational info.

Mark

6. Kovacs

Kovacs

I'd like to eventually rely on price alone. A completely clean chart with significant levels.

7. Kovacs

Kovacs

I thought about doing a pop signal but I'm not sure how in eSignal. Another issue is how to define a pop. Since a volume spike is relative to the past, isn't a hard number misleading?

8. Kovacs

Kovacs

I'll look into it.

Thanks for the input guys.

9. Kovacs

Kovacs

I tried a 5000V chart for the ES, but don't I then have to observe how fast the bars are forming? I'm also looking at the 5-min, 30-min, and 120-min, so sometimes I miss the print velocity on the equivolume charts.