Reading guide for trading

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by darknesscrysis, May 21, 2017.

1. There are so many threads already about this topic that I can't look all of them. I was reading "How to Day Trade by Ross Cameron" when I found the terms resistance and support. As he didn't explained those terms before I suppose it isn't a beginners book, I could google the terms I don't understand but I prefer to begin with a book that builds from the ground up.
    So can you give a reading list that goes from easier to more difficult? I would like a list for short term trading and then a list for trading in general. And then merge them to see the recommended reading order in a global perspective.
    Please don't suggest single books as I can find that online.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  2. soulfire

soulfire

There is no such thing as "beginners trading". If you're not ready to do the homework of researching terms mentioned in a book you aren't familiar with, trading isn't for you.

What you're asking is like asking for simplified "how to" books on brain surgery.

tommcginnis likes this.
  3. You answer was SO useful. You are telling me robots aren't gonna be able to do brain surgerys with simplified "how tos" programmed into them? I think they are gonna be able to do that much better than humans with 6 year background studies.
    If you aren't able to google for "beginner trading books" then trading isn't for you.
    Now we'll let people with more interest answer, shall we?

4. No matter which books I read in the past, it truly doesn't impact you enough to mold behavior. Basically you need to machine learn from the start, to build up conviction in your decisions or weightings of information from your environment. Then you start developing a sense of the market, and which trades to put on. That is one part to the puzzle. This takes a good 10 years minimum.

The other part of the puzzle, is what you do when your conviction has led you to make a decision, but starts resulting in a intraday or multiday draw down. You need to work on both parts of this puzzle. To learn this is much shorter. If you don't learn part 2, you will never have enough screen time to learn part 1. That is why most fail. You need to be able to survive long enough to develop or evolve part 1.

Handle123 and darknesscrysis like this.
  5. soulfire

soulfire

My answer was intended to be useful, but since you want it spelled out in more detail:

From your original post:

"There are so many threads already about this topic that I can't look all of them."

Translation: "I'm not motivated enough to put in an effort to research those threads for worthwhile information."

"I was reading "How to Day Trade by Ross Cameron" when I found the terms resistance and support. As he didn't explained those terms before I suppose it isn't a beginners book,..."

The concept of support and resistance ARE beginners terms. The author likely chose not to spell out the details because it's an elementary concept and anyone considering trading should have progressed to the point of knowing the elementary concepts, or at the very least have enough motivation to look up the terms.

You won't even take the time to do any research on your own to figure out what books there are in the age of google and past forum threads.

The bottom line is you want to be spoon fed information you should be getting yourself.

There's a reason why you're getting so little response from others- you come across as just another lazy person who can't be bothered putting in their own effort for the simplest things in a field that requires maximum effort just to even have a chance to succeed.

I'm sure many books can be googled for "Beginners Trading", and those authors will be happy to take your money. Good luck in actually learning anything useful that will prepare you to actually learn about trading, let alone make profitable trades.

6. Handle123

Handle123

Just another newbie who dreaming how he going to spend it and not done one hour behind the screen on the way of doing 10,000 hours. So many lazy people who think they going to compete with the brightest by bypassing the beginnings.

themickey likes this.
  7. Howard

Howard

It's interesting to see the reference to brain surgery. I'm sure very few rational people expect to be brain surgeons from studying Amazon books in their pastime and most people have a huge amount of respect with regards to that profession and what it takes to reach such a level.

Why then do so many people seem to think they can easily become successful traders?

Is it because most people don't know how markets really work? Influence from vendors and educators who are selling the dream? The feeling that you've discovered something special the first time you see technical analysis?

To the OP, I might suggest Larry Harris' Trading & Exchanges. It's a good and thorough book and it might let you understand what you're up against and what exactly you are trying to achieve.

If you do a search, you'll find his follow up to this book for free online. Written such that it's up to date with today's electronic markets. But I still recommend the original book. It's more dense and goes into more detail.

8. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

soulfire wrote:
    "You won't even take the time to do any research on your own to figure out what books there are in the age of google and past forum threads.

The bottom line is you want to be spoon fed information you should be getting yourself.

There's a reason why you're getting so little response from others- you come across as just another lazy person who can't be bothered putting in their own effort for the simplest things in a field that requires maximum effort just to even have a chance to succeed."

+1

(Isn't that what the youngin's say? "+1!" Does that make me au courant? Regardless, it's definitely wisdom of which the OP should make use.)

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    mt2rules and speedo like this.
  9. vanzandt

vanzandt

Not until you buy a double-latte at SBUX on credit... using a phone. And only then if its the latest version of said phone. Then you can be hip.

mt2rules and tommcginnis like this.
  10. SunTrader

SunTrader

OP has another post elsewhere regarding penny stock. Naturally.

#10     May 27, 2017