Reading fixed columns of float data from text file with C#

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by bungrider, Apr 13, 2004.

1. I don't like C : I have learned to program in Assembly langage at enginering school (because I would have never done so on my own) and it would astonish you but I find assembly more clearer than C : there are fewer instructions and it's like programming a tiny spreadsheet with less than a dozen cells :D. OK It's almost a joke: what I mean is that the syntax of C was originally a macro langage for assembler and that it has turned into a "high level" language whereas it hasn't been designed for that so that I don't really see what makes C really "high level" and so readable :).

#11     Apr 14, 2004
  2. Perhaps the only but considered as the MAIN because the real cost is the experience of the guys and all the past applications that have been already developped with.

#12     Apr 14, 2004
  3. I have MASM32 and TASM32 ... for one day I promised that I would make fun again by programming the Windows API with them :D. I have never done so in fact but I would like to do so because that's how you really understand how the architecture really works. I never program really since a few years now but I still need to keep in touch with the ground when I supervise a programmer it can help to understand when something goes wrong.

#13     Apr 14, 2004
  4. FWIW, you probably know about it, but there is a compiler for python called psycho or something like that which (supposedly) makes code run several times faster..

i am comfortable with C# b/c i am a novice. and it is fast and has allowed me to write apps quickly.

we have been over this many times here. do a search for C#.

#14     Apr 14, 2004
  5. Spoken like someone who's never been responsible for millions of dollars of a corporation's money.

It's hardly an issue of "lemmings" - it's strategically stupid for a major company to commit to a thinly adopted/niche development platform - the limited pool of people knowledgable in it means your costs rapidly become ridiculous, as a result you invariably have to deal with bozos with super egos expecting to be paid way beyond their real abilities, limited availability of third party tools, and a few years later you can find yourself sitting on a mass of code built in what is now a defunct platform.

Living in the real world, it's less an issue of "technical awesomeness" as it is about cost effective practicality.

#15     Apr 15, 2004
  6. Yeah I know.... I know.... but im just a frustrated techie
    who hates to see the real killer technology ignored, simply
    because it never had a big backer shoving it down everyones
    throat :D

After all... I *AM* using the "popular" language instead of
    my language of choice.

peace

axeman

#16     Apr 15, 2004
  7. And there is also a reason that is never told: it's just less risky for a manager to make a herd decision and chose even a bad and/or costfull but well marketized product than chose a technology that nobody has not put his feet into yet :D. For example I have been working for several client big firms and many bought Compaq and at that time there were many failures with Compaq screens : so I asked one day to the manager: why do you still take Compaq it's a recurrent problem. He smiled and answered: well if I take Compaq even if it doesn't work nobody will reproach me as thousands of enterprises have chosen Compaq as Compaq is reputable, if I take something else and it doesn't work, I will be reproached for sure. :D

#17     Apr 15, 2004
  8. I agree that in the real world there are other considerations above and beyond solely the technical merits for choosing a language or product, and I agree with harry that some of that (or most of that) is related to perception / accountability. Its the same argument people that people say when regarding the stock selection of big mutual funds. But as someone who develops code, I personally haven't heard a compelling case for C# (on technical merit). :p

#18     Apr 15, 2004
  9. Actually I havent (I was hoping to look it up yesterday but ran out of time). Im guessing its comporable to py2exe or freeze. I'll check it out...

#19     Apr 15, 2004
  10. A quick answer with out reading into your question.

Use StreamReader, string.Split, and double/decimal.Parse.

#20     Apr 15, 2004