Reading "Dynamic Trading" by Taleb...am i supposed to understand any of it?

Discussion in 'Options' started by zghorner, Nov 1, 2019.

1. zghorner

zghorner

EDIT: MEANT "DYNAMIC HEDGING" IN THE TITLE

ive only made it to page 70 and already feel as though i might actually have an extra chromosome. The way he tries to explain everything in mathematical terms is brutal to read through. I just finished "Fooled by Randomness" and it was easy enough to read but i didnt really find it beneficial in anyway. I was excited to get into something specifically about options trading and whew man this book hurts my brain. I know Taleb gets a lot of hate but i enjoy watching his video speeches/lectures and do feel like he is a smart dude...so this thread isnt an attempt to bash him in any way.

Do you all think its worth dredging through the rest of Dynamic Hedging or do you have anything else to recommend? I have a basic understanding of options, ive watched every video over at optionalpha, tastytrade, and OCC. On top of proving myself an expert at selling OTM options on individual stocks in the hopes of gaining pennies...only to have it go against me for maximum losses.

2. Wheezooo

Wheezooo

No, never read it, but thumbed through it, definitely not 101. Start with something like Natenburg. That's baby food.

And he is a smart guy, no need to apologise for thinking that.

zghorner likes this.
  3. tomorton

tomorton

The Back Swan event - one very good idea. And he never never lets us forget he was the one so smart as to think of it.

4. drm7

drm7

Try reading some of Euan Sinclair's option books. Volatility Trading is fairly accessible. In fact, Dynamic Hedging is a component of Volatility Arbitrage (which Volatility Trading explains).

5. zghorner

zghorner

I would say antifragile is the idea that gets thrown out there the most...obviously in combination with black swan like you mentioned. Antifragility is an interesting idea but his “barbell” portfolio recommendation based off being antifragile and capitalizing on a black swan event seems a little strange. Basically just slowly bleed until a black swan event takes place and you make excellent returns via way OTM puts or what not. Curious what others think about this.

6. destriero

destriero

He bled out at Paloma. He must be a zombie.

7. ironchef

ironchef

I gave up on it a long time ago, just way too mathematical for a mom and pop retail trader who is math challenged. :banghead:

What I did learn from reading all his other books: Tail events are mispriced. For us amateur retails, the key to a profitable trade is to figure out if it is underpriced or overpriced. :D

8. zghorner

zghorner

Can’t tell if you are being sarcastic or not. What happened at Paloma?

9. destriero

destriero

Lost money (20%) over two years or so.

zghorner likes this.
  10. zghorner

zghorner

So I am guessing you are not a fan of his recommendation in black swan...90% in super safe low yield investments, 10% high risk stuff?

#10     Nov 1, 2019