Reaching down to shake hands

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bugscoe, Nov 14, 2009.

1. haha stop being an ass

#11     Nov 15, 2009
  2. You really think this was Obama's idea? You think that it was Bush's idea to kiss and hold hands with the Saudi King?

Like I said in my earlier post in this thread - it's not 1955.

But I also have another theory. A President or Sec State's moves and words are closely watched by all countries. The messages sent are rarely intended for US citizens. Many messages verbal and nonverbal are well over our heads, but strike closer to home for other countries. Don't think like an American, think like a foreigner, so here's another take:

It's obvious that there is friction between China and the US. And if you know anything about the Japanese Imperial royal family and their history with China - they were never really the best of friends. Actually, there was debate about Hirohito's role or possible prosecution of after WWII. The US decided to keep him and the royal family intact.

This bow is an affront, or maybe warning to China? Divide and conquer? A reminder that we have local allies should the SHTF with China?

And as I said before - our views are irrelevant.

#12     Nov 15, 2009
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

Yes
    (but it's still amusing to make fun of him)

Nearly everyone? You exaggerating intentionally, or getting your history from Huffingtonpost or Moveon.org?

#13     Nov 15, 2009
  4. Yes, you are right, I did exaggerated that just to get to the point.

#14     Nov 15, 2009
  5. Killed nearly everyone on Japan? Errr, not really. Between 1930 and 1950, the population of Japan changed from 64,450,000
    to 83,200,000 people, an increase of 29%. So it's safe to say there were approx. 70,000,000 during 1945.
    On August 6, the U.S. B-29 bomber Enola Gay dropped an atomic bomb, which detonated almost 2,000 feet over Hiroshima, estimated to have killed at least 70,000 people (and possibly as many as 100,000) in an instant. Nearly 70,000 more were injured, most with hideous burns and radiation poisoning.
    Nagasaki three days later, which killed at least 40,000 instantly and injured another 25,000. In addition to the casualties on the days of detonation, tens of thousands more would die within two years from injuries and radiation poisoning
    Lets just say three to five hundred thousand died as a result of both blasts. That's not even 1% of the population at the time, so let's not get all wild eyed about it. Besides, they f'n deserved it.
    How leftist of you to keep apologizing, over and over and over and over......

#15     Nov 16, 2009
  6. In my view - everyone is missing the point. But that's not surprising. We all view the world in an egocentric way.

How about this:

All diplomatic gestures and speeches are well planned in advance.

Bowing before Hirohito's son is a message in itself.

FYI - in the 1930's Hirohito sent troops into the mainland and they MASSACRED the Chinese.

So, Obama bows before this guy, and then goes to China. How would you feel about that bow if you were Chinese? Is that an affront? A veiled threat? A warning about who else may control the pacific?

Maybe Japan one day becomes our "Israel" in Asia?

#16     Nov 16, 2009

7. I don't know if Japan will become the "israel" of asia. The Japanese are a fanatic warrior race who have always tried to conquer the asian mainland, the 1930's was not the 1st time that the Japanese tried to invade china in large numbers. In 1592, Japan attacked korea, then nominally a Chinese tributary, with 200,000 samurais with the intention of using it as a base against mainland China. It lasted for 7 years and was only repulsed at the cost of 1 million Chinese and Korean lives. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imjin_War

#17     Nov 16, 2009
  8. It does not matter how many Japanese the atomic bombs killed. The fact is that a lot of people died.

My point being is that America is a stronger country and that Obama was just being humble.

#18     Nov 16, 2009
  9. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U6fL7Y4BZA

46 handshakes, One bow

Compilation of Emperor Akihito shaking hands with other foreign (and domestic) leaders, juxtaposed to Obama shaking hands with Emperor Akihito. Does anyone notice the difference? (Hint: Look at the angle created between Obama's Legs and torso)

#19     Nov 16, 2009