Re-thinking "Discipline"

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by formikatrading, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Discipline is important as a trader, -- But also being Open-minded and Flexible and Free. It's Complicated. o_O

#21     Nov 17, 2017
    comagnum likes this.
  2. comagnum

comagnum

Good point made - 'discipline' is an ugly word. All you really need is a long term goal and work on it persistently. And hopefully your goal is something other than just $.

#22     Nov 17, 2017
    Dragonfly84 likes this.
  3. themickey

themickey

Discipline I think is something you need to do in order to reach a goal, like a boot camp of pain but which ends up becoming enjoyable.
    In the past my big trading problem was losing focus of what I was attempting to achieve.
    Eg, realise an opportunity was looming but when I finally spotted it, it was too late as I had become distracted in the meantime (as time passed) with other less important issues.
    I fixed that largely by buying a Samsung tablet, creating a file with numerous web links, now each morning wake early, make a cup of tea, go back to bed and scroll thru web links in an orderly fashion to spot possible opportunities which may be presented from overnight overseas markets.
    I think this might be an example of discipline which became pleasurable.
    The pain was outlaying several hundred dollars and spending maybe 40 odd hours setting up the file and web links.

#23     Nov 17, 2017
    formikatrading likes this.

4. Quite so.

The origin of the word discipline comes from "to be discipled." ie. to follow the teachings, instructions, wisdom of another. It is not limited to the difficult stern practices nor does it cease to be discipline just because you enjoy it. Take running in the morning or after work for example. It could be a discipline for the one who enjoys it or equally for one who hates it but does it just the same. Either way, it is a practice that they follow systematically for their own reasons and don't waiver based on how they "feeeeeel" that moment.

Methinks.

#24     Nov 17, 2017
    Sprout and speedo like this.
  5. southall

southall

Trading is serious business, if you don't trade with rock solid discipline then you are trading at a disadvantage. Not to mention increasing your chances of blowing up.

"I know that to be successful, I have to be frightened. My biggest hits have always come after I have had a great period and I started to think that I knew something. "

"Risk is a no-fooling-around game; it does not allow for mistakes. If you do not manage the risk, eventually they will carry you out. "

#25     Nov 18, 2017
    themickey and tommcginnis like this.
  6. Patience and Discipline are the key to achieve success in the Forex Market and without them we cannot earn much in the Forex Market

#26     Nov 18, 2017
  7. This really gets into the "habits" that you create in order to achieve your goals. Sometimes you have to take steps to not only create habits, but to customize and simplify those habits so that they work for you -- so that they become a part of your process that is easy to do. In other words, we need to think about the things we need to be disciplined about in our trading and figure out a way to efficiently achieve that discipline -- and it doesn't have to feel like a struggle to be effective.

#27     Nov 18, 2017
  8. volpri

volpri

Discipline is being responsible to do WHAT you are supposed to do, WHEN you are supposed to do it, and HOW you are supposed to do it regardless of how you "feel" about it. It generally involves paying "close attention to detail..mindfulness..concentration and focus. In the trading world it also involves the element of flexibility. You have to "bend" yourself mentally to adapt to what the market is doing and not fight the market. This can involve actually moving a stop when you suddenly "see" something about the markets that you did not see at the time you placed your stop. It does not mean blindly following your rules for trading but is DOES MEAN vigorously following the market. Hopefully, one has crafted a set of rules that can "flex" with what the market is doing. The market knows nothing of your rules nor does it care in the least about your strategies or tactics. Nor does it care anything about any lines you may draw on your charts..horizontal..vertical..sloped or whatever. These only serve as indications of present market pressures and as mechanisms for a trader to read the market pressures and to clarify those market pressures TO HIMSELF. This is useful simply because of the inertia or tendency of the markets to keep doing "at least for a while" what it is presently doing. This inertia can be capitalized upon. But at ANY moment..in any way..the pressures can change for reasons unknown and perhaps even unknowable reasons, for say, an individual trader. If your plan doesn't have an element of flexibility built into it then the market will leave you standing in the dust waiting to get in the market or leave you picking up your coins that are left after obliterating your stop loss.

A traders basic job is to ANTICIPATE but FOLLOW price action as the market unfolds. The rules you craft and how you go about doing that is your trading plan. Hopefully, you have flexibility built into your plan because uncertainty has always been, and will always be, a strong element of the markets. Rules and plans can help us deal with that uncertainty but but flexibility must be injected into ones trading strategies. The market can bend in all sort of directions and at various speeds much like a cane driven by the wind. However, that said, even the cane has it limits as to how far the cane can bend. And a north wind will bend the cane in a generally certain direction (hint pressure slow or increasing). A whipping wind will twist it in all sorts of directions (hint choppy). A driving wind will strongly bend it in a direction (hint strong breakouts)

Since the market doesn't know anything of your well crafted plans and rules and nor does it care (of course there are some exceptions....e.g. stop running..etc) in general, price is simply gonna go where it is gonna go. It can go up by buying pressure (frenzy buying..institutions filling orders..algos executing.,) or by sellers simply backing off thus creating a form of buying pressure. That is to say, sellers are saying, if you want this, you gonna have to come up to my price. Buyers can create buying pressure. Sellers can also. Selling pressure can be created by shorting or simply by buyers backing off.

Discipline with flexibility is key. It takes time and experience and practice to develop such a plan that incorporates those two things. How do you follow your rules yet remain flexible enough to follow the market when the market action obliterates your trading strategy?
    Will you have the discipline to follow your plan..strategies..rules..yet maintain a greater discipline to follow what the markets are actually doing, regardless of your plan may be?

Discipline is the execution of your plan in the uncertainty of the market price action environment while at the same time executing according present market action.

I will give an example. I trade off of patterns. I know it is fossilized, out of style, and considered by many to be old school stuff that just doesn't work. Well ..at least they couldn't get it to work ..threw their hands up..and declared it as a bunch of mumbo jumbo. Market surfer derided it (in a jokingly way ‭‭:mad:) while i argued for it on his thread regarding price drivers and beating the machines. Price action obliterated his theories and probally hindered the sell of his book. He finally left the forum and we have not seen hide nor hair of him since. ...now..back to my example as i got off course here as the memories of that thread again filled my aging brain. I know it is aging because the cat scan indicated that. At least they found a brain there!:cool:

EXAMPLE: Take wedge tops. I have rules..tactics..and strategies for trading wedge tops. Generally i look to short them at certain precise moments. However, i have seen them fail almost as much as they succeed. There is a slight edge that they will succeed in producing an profitible short but I understand that they can fail too. There is probally around a 35% to 40% chance that any shorting of a wedge top will indeed fail. So, if i shorted a wedge top and i see it fail or I see it is probally going to fail after i have shorted it then i will exit my position and look to take a long position on a failed wedge top short. Why? Because I know that the odds favor two legs up on a FAILED wedge top. This is an example of flexibilty and discipline to follow, above all, what the market is actually doing. Why should I wait for my stop to be hit when it is clear from unfolding PA that the wedge top is most likely going to fail. So, therefore, i try to anticipate market action by shorting a wedge top at a given monent according to my rules but IF it fails i will bend and go with the market. It does NOT mean wedge tops are a scumbag way of trading. They do in fact succeed, as shorting opportunities, slightly more than they do not.

Wedge bottoms. I have my rules. But i go with the market. See example pic. Go long on wedge bottoms but if they fail short them. Even short successive wedge bottoms until they stop failing. You get the main idea? Follow your strategy but more important be disciplined to follow the market. After all, that is all that matters. The coins that jingle in your picket are indicative of your discipline (or lack of your discipline) to follow the market. WINNING IS EVERYTHING. In football and in trading. Who wants to break even in the markets or simply tie a game or just play only for the experience of it. My granddaughter one year play baseball at school. One day they lost. As she was telling me the story of the losing game she said it did not matter that what was important was the "experience" of playing. I immediately told her no! No! NO! Winning the game is everything! Thus goes trading. Watch the video on this thread posted by southhall. Make sure you win overall or at least stay in the game if a losing streak hits you. ABOVE ALL FOLLOW THE MARKET NOT WHAT YOU THINK THE MARKET SHOULD DO.

Flexibilty..discipline..execution. Discipline to execute according to plan but flexible to execute and follow the market. Perhaps a few pictures will clarify or muddify?? ROFLMAO

P.S. beating the machines does not work. Anticipating and trading PA does if you understand how, and practice enough, and are able to be disciplined to follow your plan and actual PA.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    #28     Nov 18, 2017
  9. Why would you ever "have to take a trade that doesn't qualify"?

#29     Nov 18, 2017
  10. Xela

Xela

You wouldn't/shouldn't, but there's a thing among aspiring traders called "overtrading syndrome" (prevalent, I think, among people who perhaps collectively tend to have a less clearly defined framework of "qualification" than would be optimal)... :confused:

#30     Nov 18, 2017
    learner2007, comagnum and tommcginnis like this.