re-open account with IB?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by abxs, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Bob111

Bob111

how much you withdrew? did you take all of your money? if so-why? i'm pretty sure, if you left 500$ and wire rest(for example 90K) into your bank account before you going to vacation-you will be fine. why should they close your account? maybe there something else? my account was frozen once for 180 days, cause of PDT violation-i just close it and open another one few days after that violation. Filling online application take like 15-20 min max, get approved-another day or two. no big deal, even if you have to do it from scratch.
    Another thing-why, BEFORE you done all this, you did not spend couple minutes with IB CS? There are nice people in banking dept and I’m sure they would tell you, what to do and how to avoid such situation

#11     Aug 19, 2007
  2. abxs

abxs

Well it actually takes a lot longer these days to have a new application be approved... there seem to be a lot more security checks according to this thread:
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=101878

also, I didn't contact IB CS before (ok I should have) but the money was only away for a week... who figured they would close it so quickly?

#12     Aug 19, 2007
  3. BSAM

BSAM

Abxs.....

I think I can help you get this completly cleared up in your mind.

Please follow these simple steps:

#1 Ask yourself: Why would a brokerage leave an account open which has no money in it?

#2 Ask yourself: Why am I taking all my money out of my trading account when I know I'll soon be back to trade? (Keep in mind, IB wouldn't know you were coming back.)

#3 Go to www.dictionary.com and look up this phrase: common sense.

Hope this helps.

#13     Aug 19, 2007
  4. abxs

abxs

See what another trader posted above:

"Last time I was with Tradestation they keep the account open for a year after complete funds withdrawal. Scottrade, keep my account open for a years with no funds."

Does your bank delete your checkings account when you leave zero cash on it? I didn't think so. Does your bank erase your savings account just because you haven't saved anything the last week? I doubt it very much.
    Common sense my a**.

#14     Aug 20, 2007
  5. And Bundlemaker should know, he has been digging into the finer points of Jack Hershey's method for months.. and now his account has been closed out

#15     Aug 20, 2007
  6. abxs

abxs

no one else experienced this apparently?

#16     Aug 22, 2007
  7. Ask yourself why IB is the only broker that does this.

#17     Aug 22, 2007
  8. WHy does it matter?

Does my business have to run the same way your business runs?? If I have customers to support me, that is irrelevant.

#18     Aug 22, 2007
  9. Do you understand why I quoted? I will spell it out for you. BSAM stated it was common sense. How is it common sense when they are the only one?

#19     Aug 22, 2007
  10. This thread was up to this point a waste of time.

#20     Aug 22, 2007