Rdram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rafat, Mar 19, 2002.

1. mktman

mktman

Keep reading that Intel dropping support for RDRAM.
    Is this true?
    Looking at the ASUS P4T533-C MB.

Thx.

mktsurf

#21     Jan 29, 2003
  2. Intel is giving Rambus the boot later this year for all NEW computer products. ***Will be replaced by DDR memory.

http://www.ebnonline.com/story/OEG20020226S0040

#22     Jan 29, 2003
  3. omcate

omcate

:p :p :p

#23     Jan 29, 2003
  4. So the moral of the story is to go with DDR memory of at least PC 2100 pumping out 512 MB ....actually I prefer 1 GB and do not forget about CAS latency. 2.5 seems to work best for me.

#24     Jan 29, 2003
  5. shyhh

shyhh

rafat,

Make sure your motherboard has additional memory slot for upgrade just in case you need them.

:)

#25     Jan 29, 2003
  6. GREAT POINT..i forgot to mention this. If you only have 1 or 2 slots, this will determine the amount of stickage you want to get. Generally speaking, most mid to higher end towers come with at at least 2 DIMMS, usually more. Try to use the same output for each stick. If you have 2, go with 256 or 512 each, etc.

#26     Jan 29, 2003
  7. When sizing for the issue at hand, use 256meg of RAM per monitor as a benchmark point. That way you have enough overhead to cover inherent technology gaps and changes to come with the passage of time. With the reasonable prices out there today, this should not really be a major consideration in whether or not it is cost effective. The savings, or expenditure, of an extra $15 or so will be a mute point when your applications appear to operate efficiently.

In doing this, you will also have a built-in RAM consideration/coverage for most things that you plan to do with the system. Takes out some of the guess work for having enough memory for your planned (and unplanned) uses. :)

#27     Jan 30, 2003