RBC Prop Trading Group

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Sniper27, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Midas

Midas

Gentlemen,

Just Because Carlin/Generic trading has RBC in front of the name does not make them much different than they were before. Its business as usual. The high commissions are there to compensate for the lack of deposit most likely.

I personally would lose 10k+ per month with a commission rate like that.

To avoid a small risk deposit?

Think about it.

#21     Dec 4, 2007
  2. People, you are comparing apples to oranges. If you scalp or pairs trade or opening only or whatever it's called, u should stick with your chinatown rates at Cheech & Chong Trading, LLC. You'd have to deposit 500k just to get $5MM overnight buying power at a daytrading shop, directional positions. The RBC backed trading desk doesn't accept deposits. Think about that for a second or minute as the case may be.

I heard that the money up daytrading biz is a small part of their operations now. They seemed to have moved into servicing institutional clients and hedge funds. I also heard that RBC Capital bot out Carlin for it's DMA execution platform and prime broker.

#22     Dec 4, 2007
  3. Fabolous

Fabolous

RBC Carlin, does accept risk deposits. They have three levels omega, delta, and alpha. Omega. Delta seems to be more like a retail account (Interactive Brokers) you get your 4:1 leverage good commissions and such. Delta is more like Bright Trading you put up some money, get better leverage, commissions are a little higher. And then there is alpha is a true prop setup. No money up, commissions are higher, split payout and other things that have been talked about here. Their RBC Accel platform allows you to trade different asset classes, different execution abilities, and also the market briefing each morning from RBC's trading desk. There a lot of benefits from trading with this firm, Bright Trading seems to be the only other firm that would be able to offer professional traders the same opportunities and features.

#23     Dec 4, 2007
  4. OK, I got a call this AM from my friend who runs RBC Capital Group. And, it seems that he has the three type models mentioned above.

Thanks to someone here for sharing this thread with him. The trader here is going under another trading group's wing so to speak. The group takes the risk and does training in their style. This is what some of our "Affiliates" do as well, exact same model. RBC doesn't do any training at this point. Most RBC traders put up capital in the same manner as here at Bright.

All is at peace, LOL.

Good luck to the young trader - make us all proud!

Don:)

#24     Dec 5, 2007
  5. Not to be argumentative, but just the opposite is true if I heard my friend correctly this morning. A "handful" of seriously experienced traders with track records are part of the RCB Capital Group, trading the Firm's capital for a share of profits. Larger portion are those who put up capital. Not a big deal, we all try differing approaches to the overall market and trader satisfaction.

Many traders I suppose could move from one type arrangement to another, I know we've had that over the years.

If DA reads this, correct me if I'm mistaken on any of this.

Don

#25     Dec 5, 2007
  6. Former branch owners have told me that they shaved off hundreds of money up daytraders in past 3 years formerly known as Generic, closing entire branch offices to get out of the low margin biz. They retained some accounts.

I was refering to daytrading prop biz as % of their entire operations. Yes, you are right, the backed group is smaller than their overall daytrading operation. But I sense that daytrading is a smaller part of their overall business model now.

#26     Dec 5, 2007
  7. I don't disagree with this assessment. We have been the recipient of many traders from various other groups. This is due, in part, by simple consolidation. And, since we are not a "daytrading" firm (of course we do "day" trade), but engage in many overnight strategies as well, we have been able to stay ahead of the curve so to speak. I doubt very seriously if RBC is simply "daytrading" as much these days either. It'a all about adapting to the markets, and proper use of capital.

I had two traders who've been with us for 9 years each come to my office yesterday. One is traveling around to our different locations and speaking to various successful groups/traders so that he can add new things to his techniques (he's making money, but not as much as he used to). The other feel really bad that he hasn't been able to do as well with his "daytrading." My brother and I both explained that simple daytrading has pretty much gone away, especially for those who haven't changed their methods or started using automated programs, etc.

FWIW,

Don

#27     Dec 5, 2007
  8. I heard they are mainly in the biz of selling their DMA services, multi class executions in stocks, futures and options to professionals with larger books, hedge funds, etc and building out their prime broker business. They unloaded hundreds of money up prop guys past few years -- most likely ended up with you and Hold Bros. Assent, etc...

Unloading "money ups" sounds like they are leaving the low margin space.

#28     Dec 5, 2007
  9. juniortai

juniortai

well day 2 right now, tomorrow will be my first full day. went live this afternoon... wish i got in on the action this morning tho.

#29     Dec 5, 2007
  10. Can anyone tell more about this firm?

I've recently submitted my resume, just wondering... is this a difficult job to secure? How many rounds of interviews do you have to go through?

I've referring to the 60/40 split, with no capital upfront job.

#30     Nov 11, 2008