Ray Dalio on Failure, Meaningful Work and Relationships

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Dec 7, 2017.

1. sle

sle

Think his ideas the same that you think of a self-help book. While the author might me a narcissist and a degenerate alcoholic, the ideas are well thought through and makes sense.

#21     Dec 8, 2017
  2. Well, I am just not sure this works for me... To start with, I dislike most self-help books intensely. The only reason I might have been willing to make an exception for Uncle Ray is because I thought that, not only does he practice what he preaches, but the results are impressive. I just dunno if I am willing to believe it quite as much at this stage.

#22     Dec 8, 2017
  3. themickey

themickey

ET is a type of self help book, yes/no?

#23     Dec 8, 2017
  4. 777

That is Dalio's way; however, lesser lights in the group sometimes swing the decision by presenting the superior ideas!

#24     Dec 8, 2017
  5. This kind of public criticism can be taken as humiliation. I prefer the more established Military method which frankly is more humanist in the sense that it understands and respects the individual.

I don't know much about Bridgewater but from reading the glassdoor reviews, there is a sharp divide between Dalio "acolytes" and the average employee who expects tactful communication. "A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down" is still my operating philosophy.

#25     Dec 8, 2017
  6. It surely depends on the individual, yes/no?

#26     Dec 8, 2017
  7. Sig

Sig

I'd maintain that a community discussion is nearly the opposite of a guru based self-help book.

#27     Dec 8, 2017
  8. themickey

themickey

As a dysfunctional young man and raised a strict christian, I couldn't get enough of this sort of thing back then.
    These days I feel well past needing to listen to preachers.
    However I still enjoy a good dose of humour and ET supplies that in spades, thankfully. :)

#28     Dec 8, 2017
  9. sle

sle

Well, part of his success is surely luck, but there is some value to the ideas described in the book. It does not mean that it would be easy to implement across a fully company, but doing that sort of thing for oneself or a small team might be a plausible goal.

#29     Dec 8, 2017
  10. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I like self-help books. There is some truth in somewhere in them and I have found that truth is consistently the same.

#30     Dec 8, 2017