Raspberry Pi project ideas

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trader13, Feb 29, 2016.

1. There is also the Rock Pi, from China. A much more capable processor than the Raspberry, in the model 4A and 4B. OTG capability on one of the four USB ports, which facilitates the connection of external drives, printers, etc. Same footprint but different port arrangement from the Raspberry Pi 4. 60FPS 4k HDMI video but only one output. Runs around $20 more than the Raspberry Pi, so you almost are just as well off buying a 5yo PC and giving it a new lease on life with a decent Linux distro. Mostly it is interesting because currently everyone is sold out and deeply back ordered on the Raspberry Pi 4B, the only RPi that looks like it would be really practical for trading use.

There are other single board computers (SBC's) with greater or lesser capabilities, usually slightly higher prices than the Raspberry for the same level of hardware sophistication. I am not counting Arduino, etc which are not exactly graphics powerhouses LOL! For charting, graphics should be at least on a level comparable to recent budget laptops. I am thinking minimum 4k 30fps monitor support. 30fps should be fine. You aren't talking about competitive gaming or even movie watching, after all. Most users will want a bigger size and higher definition than the typical budget laptop screen.

#31     Jun 27, 2019
  2. Sprout

Sprout

One can get into crypto by building a diy Skyminer for $40 with a single Rpi or make a cluster computer of 8 boards.

It doesn’t do PoW, instead it’s a node in the emerging bandwidth economy. They have more nodes than TOR now.

#32     Jun 27, 2019
  3. evogel

evogel

You will not be able to trade with RPi 4. IB offers only x86 linux package , it's impossible to run it on ARM processor. The only option is using of emulator but it is ridiculously slow. Some guys reported that it takes 1-2 minutes just to launch a browser in emulated windows envoronment.
    And I am also 100% percent sure that no other broker offers installation package for ARM except for stripped down Android version.

#33     Jul 5, 2019
  4. Well, that's that, then. However I do already have one on the way and I am going to try a few things. One will be to set it up as a web based stock screener. And just to be sure that it is no good for TWS and put the question to rest once and for all, I will try, without using any extraordinary efforts, to run it. Won't cost a dime, just an hour of my time. I would not even make the attempt with a Pi 3B. The graphics are simply not up to it even if it would technically run, which now looks doubtful anyway.

#34     Jul 5, 2019
  5. evogel

evogel

Post an update later about that, pls. I would like to be wrong actually :)

#35     Jul 8, 2019
  6. Doesn't work. You were not wrong, sad to say. I got my 4GB RPi 4B Friday. Unfortunately the two video outputs are via micro HDMI, not mini HDMI. I didn't have a Micro HDMI cable or adapter so I ordered a couple on Amazon, but due to Barry, Amazon Prime said couldn't deliver until Wednesday. Tried to find one in a brick and mortar yesterday but every place that might have had one was closed for the storm. Today I got a cable and adapter at Best Buy, and plugged in to a 10" monitor, installed Raspbian Buster, and downloaded the 32 bit TWS from IB. Terminal says could not unpack the jar files, possible incompatible architecture or wrong bits. (32/64). IB site would not let me DL the 64 bit version but I had a recent build on my trading computer so I copied it to the Pi. Same issue. And so, from actually attempting to do so, I can reasonably state that without resorting to extraordinary measures, it will not install on even this newest and bestest RPi model. I did not care to manually unpack and set up the package and would be too cautious to expect it to work reliably. Most likely it is as you said, that the ARM architecture precludes installation or use of the x86 version.

The RPi 4B does make a surprisingly decent web browser and so I am using it as my screener machine. I need a double female coupler to plug in to my big monitors and so I have not tried a big monitor or two monitors yet. When I have the proper cables or adapters I will certainly try different monitors and combinations of monitors. But the 4B does give me much better graphics with either the 10" or the 7" monitor than the 3B. Mine is the 4GB version which is $55 list retail. The 1GB is $35, same as the 3B but you get a way more capable machine for the same price. At this price point there are a lot of things you could do with this thing. BUT... not run the TWS package for Linux natively.

I am quite happy with my purchase, but I will warn potential buyers that this board gets pretty darn hot in the official case, so either run it nekkid, without a case, or else add a cooling fan and of course a good heat sink, too. Don't worry about the board... the firmware will throttle the Pi as needed to prevent a meltdown. The thing is, when overheated and throttled, performance will suck. So for big computer performance, keep that little guy cool. Also I am told that there are issues with the USB C power jack not working well with some cables. And the cases made for the 1, 2, and 3 do not work for the 4 because the ports are different. If you want a case you have to modify, or make one, or get a special 4B case.

#36     Jul 14, 2019
    evogel and easymon1 like this.
  7. easymon1

easymon1

8. easymon1

easymon1

Mr. Monster,
    Don't know if this will help, but . . .
    https://www.androidcentral.com/does-raspberry-pi-4-need-heatsink

heatsink.jpg

#38     Jul 16, 2019
  9. easymon1

easymon1

10. They lost me completely at "Moving to a diet that excludes animal products, say the study's authors, could reclaim 3.1 billion hectares of global farmland (a 76% reduction), while reducing food's greenhouse gas emissions by 6.6 billion metric tons of CO2eq (a 49% reduction), among other environmental benefits." I could read no further.

NY Strips and bacon and prime rib roasts are the staff of life. Bread is just a wrapper for real food. I will cheerfully accept a fat slice of tomato and onion, some dill pickles and pickled jalapenos, and a leaf or two of lettuce on my 3/4lb medium well burger, though, so veggies aren't all bad. And I am partial to collard greens, as long as they have plenty of sausage and ham hocks.

#40     Jul 16, 2019