Raschke's 3/10 oscillator in Ensign

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by whodat, Aug 19, 2008.

1. whodat

whodat

I'd like to create her oscillator in Ensign. One line is the difference between a 3 period simple moving average and a 10 period simple moving average. The second line is a 16 period simple moving average of the first line (3/10 line). Does anyone know how to do this in Ensign or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Dan D.

2. Arnie

Arnie

You can probably do this in a DYO study

Scroll down to DYO....

http://ensign.editme.com/_Index#D

There are a bunch of examples, just try to find one similar to what you are trying to do.

FYI you can easily do this with a MACD study.

3. can't u just put a MACD on the chart and change the settings to 3/10/16?

4. whodat

whodat

I'll give this a try. Thanks.

5. whodat

whodat

I don't know if it would be the same. It seems like if this would work someone would have pointed it out in the articles that I've read. I'll give it some thought.

Thanks.

6. hughb

hughb

I don't know how Ensign works, but typically software programs build their MACD's with exponential moving averages, not simple. And LBR's 3-10-16 MACD setups will not work with exponential moving averages.

How did you find out about LBR's 3-10-16 MACD? She hasn't mentioned it in years AFAIK.

7. FYI, Ensign will allow you to change the formula from exponential to simple (among 8 other formulas) so it would be feasible to use MACD to get what you want.

8. whodat

whodat

After researching how MACD is constructed it seems to be the same if I change from exponential to simple moving averages.

Thanks,

Dan D.

9. whodat

whodat

As Allen said, Ensign gives one the flexibility to use different types of moving averages.

I was rereading her Street Smarts book and decided to look at the oscialltor again.

Dan D.