Rasberry Pi 4 and IB TWS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ZBZB, Feb 21, 2020.

1. ZBZB

ZBZB

Will a 4gb rasberry pi 4 run IB TWS?

2. I have a Pi2 and it's only good for email, I doubt the Pi4 would be any better.

3. I highly doubt it... while it's true that the new PI 4 has improved leaps and bounds over previous "PIes", keep in mind that TWS is written in Java, which makes it kinda "heavy" from a resource consumption standpoint.

Now don't take me wrong, I like Java (in fact, it's the language I use for coding my in-house trading software) but Java is not exactly known for producing "lightweight" apps... much less when you aren't coding a CLI app and instead you start toying around with GUIs (like TWS does), which nowadays usually means a JavaFX thread running along with your app, which in turn means you need some serious hardware in order the whole thing to run smoothly.

ET180 likes this.
  4. ZBZB

ZBZB

Any other low cost soc board run TWS under Linux?

5. ET180

ET180

What's the objective? To save money on energy costs? This is probably not the place to look to save money.

6. Besides, due to the aforementioned reasons, I'm afraid that mixing "TWS" and "low cost soc" in the same sentence is a solid no-go ...

7. ZBZB

ZBZB

I just want to learn about Linux, riscOS and the arm chip. RiscOS is not available on the pi 4. I have three PC’s. I guess I could put in a boot manager and run Linux as well as windows.

I am watching a lot of YouTube on the history of the arm processor and video game history.

I will connect an intel nuc to my tv and play zaxxon.

8. ET180

ET180

That's what I do. If you already have 3 PCs, probably don't need a 4th.

9. Trader13

Trader13

In the industry, Linux is more popular as a server platform (database server, web server, app server), not a client platform. If you're on a very tight budget, then Linux with an open source produtivity suite can replace MS Windows and MS Office, but the difference in cost is really quite small as you can purchase MS software, one or two versions old, for almost nothing.

A few years ago, I setup an old PC laptop with minimal CPU & memory on a lightweight distro of Linux just for learning and experience. I thought it sucked, so I replaced it with MS WinXP SP3, one of the most robust client OS platforms we've ever had.

10. If you already have a NUC you can also use this to run TWS. It is more than powerful enough for this task.

#10     Feb 24, 2020