Rare Earth Elements

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by ZEAK, Aug 23, 2008.

1. I don't think is a rare earth element but I have been getting into some phosphorus related invesments over the past couple of years.

But looking to add more. Its a very consolidated market with only a handful of countires producing the bulk of the supply.

#11     Aug 31, 2008
  2. kxvid

kxvid

I remember reading something about how roundup weed killer has their own P mine giving them a competitive advantage over their competitors who don't.
    The main uses for P are fertilizer, pesticides, chemical industry, etc. Fertilizer has the best potential to increase prices I assume, since their is no substitute for P in plant growth. You hear all this talk about potash K2O3, but nothing about P-based fertilizers, I don't know why.
    One interesting P stock is CF. The earnings growth of the company is an absolute thing of beauty, an the P/E very low at 13. They make nitrogen and posphourous fertilizers, so no potash here.

#12     Aug 31, 2008
  3. kxvid

kxvid

palladium is looking cheap...
    wait for $200 and back the truck up

#13     Sep 9, 2008
  4. ZEAK

ZEAK

I agree. Just bought a hand full of Palladium maples last night, and will continue to do so in the coming months.

#14     Sep 9, 2008
  5. How about uses within the Auto sector ? GM Ford and the rest not looking great in medium term...

#15     Sep 10, 2008
  6. ZEAK

ZEAK

I agree, for the near/medium term the auto sector does not look to good. However, there is a lot of talk of fuel cells being used in hybrids, and palladium will play a big roll in that. That, and the many other uses of this metal. Feel good about holding the actual metal for the long term. Got stocks, realestate, cash and now some metals.

#16     Sep 10, 2008
  7. kxvid

kxvid

To be honest, I think the hydrogen economy is a false dream. However I don't think the realities of switching to hydrogen will sink palladium. I think the brightest days for H2 may still be ahead of us, anticipation of which could cause large gains in PGMs.

The Russians aren't happy with these Pd prices and might withhold supply. Whenever the economy picks up we should see a nice bounce.

On the subject of rare earth elements, I just picked up almost a kilo of Indium. I was able to get a good price under $400 per kilo. At current depletion rates, all Indium should be gone in 13 years. Indium is used in LCD tv's, and nanosolar panels. The price of Indium has been as high as 900/Kg. There is only $3 worth of it in a LCD panel, so its just like silver in that it is used in industrial uses that will not be recycled.

happy rare element investing

#17     Sep 21, 2008