Rare arbitrage profit from call vs put prices: explain why not being taken?

Discussion in 'Options' started by Option Trader, Feb 8, 2010.

1. cvds16

cvds16

you are getting things all mixed up: they want to sell the calls and buy the puts if they want to go short synthetically. Seems logical to me if you can't short the stock, rather overpay a bit for your synthetic short than have no short at all ...

#61     Feb 10, 2010
  2. tomk96

tomk96

dude, this was said days ago. the stock is hard to borrow, so when you need short deltas, whether through stock or options positions, you will be better bid on puts and better offered on calls. this is all dependent on the carrying cost of the stock. all the numbers have always added up. strike+call-put+carry-div= stock price. it's just that the carry is significant for this stock.

#62     Feb 10, 2010
  3. I posted on CTIC message board to let longs know about this opportunity to replace their longs with synthetic longs, i.e. they can sell the stock now at $.77, and get a stynthetic long for the stock equivalent price of $.60 (up to 25 puts or 2500 shares), but it doesn't seem there are any takers. Pitiful.:confused:

#63     Feb 10, 2010

4. hahah whats pitiful is that someone told you the answer around the 4th post on this thread, then you repeat it several days later like you finally figured it out. NOW you expect to convince people through some message board to sell their stocks and go synthetic long? Haven't you figured out by now if the stock was easier to borrow the puts would go down in value and you still wouldn't make money? Other than that, great job.

#64     Feb 10, 2010
  5. Mr. Trader Arb: If you were bullish on the stock, and saw this call/put disparity, would you not sell the stock and take on the synthetic long?

#65     Feb 10, 2010
  6. tomk96

tomk96

it doesn't happen for free

#66     Feb 10, 2010
  7. Only if Jim Simons and David Shaw were out sick that day so they missed it.

#67     Feb 10, 2010