RapidMiner - Any experience with this?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Laissez Faire, May 13, 2019.

1. Hi all,

Anyone have any experience with this particular software?

Briefly, I'm currently speaking with some programmers to help me on a machine learning project, but considering their rates and pricing, I was wondering if I might as well go with RapidMiner or something similar.

Thanks in advance.

2. ET180

ET180

I used RapidMiner about a decade ago. I thought it was pretty good, but not sure you need all the ML algorithms that it has. My take on optimization is that it tends to lead to curve fitting -- a system that does really great on past data, but not so great on new data. Through cross-validation and other methods, there are ways to guard against that. Anyhow, I think RapidMiner is a good place to start. You can always develop something more complicated / customized later if needed.

Laissez Faire likes this.
  3. fan27

fan27

What are you trying to accomplish with your ML project? I might be able to help. RapidMiner seems interesting but it looks like it limits processing based on your license. The solution I offer has no such limitations. Might be a good fit for you....maybe not. Whatever the case...good luck on the project!

4. Hi,

Interesting. What did you use it on/for?

Learning curve?

Thanks. :)

5. Without going into too much detail, let's just say that I have sets of data that I'd like to explore further and I've been curious if ML could be helpful. Just something I'm interested in exploring at this point.

fan27 likes this.
  6. fan27

fan27

Sounds good. Whatever solution you go with, make sure it there will be a high probability of success before shelling out any money.

7. Well, that's always hard to know in advance even though RapidMiner offers a free trial. Time is the most valuable resource currently. Not in an immediate rush on this.

You mentioned having a solution...?

8. userque

userque

Also consider KNIME.
    https://www.knime.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/KNIMETV

I've tried both years ago.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  9. ET180

ET180

It was pretty easy to pick up if you have some basic knowledge of the ML algorithms that you are using. I also used KNIME as well, but I don't recall the difference between the two. I fed in a bunch of technical indicators and tried to predict short-term price direction. It was a misguided project and mostly a waste of time. I think trying to find correlations between different products (S&P vs. oil vs. gold, etc) might be a better use of time, but never tried it.

10. volpri

volpri

Whatever...just make sure it doesn’t talk or mark up charts for newbies..:)

#10     May 13, 2019