Rapid and Large scale 2 step testing for covid-19 - is this technique possible to do ?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by traderwald, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Hi guys

Would it be possible to do a 2 step test for covid-19.

Here the first step would be a test on large (maybe the whole) population to determine if at all there is something in a person's serum that is not part of standard serum. if this step is possible and can be done quickly (like result in 10-15 min) then if any person has something that is not part of standard serum, they can be quickly isolated and a 2nd step of test be done for them (and it would be ok even if it takes a day or 2 get this result as the subset has been narrowed for this test) to check if that something is covid-19.

Those who are ok in step 1 are ok but need to tested frequently till this is resolved and it is ok.

If this can be done, maybe testing can be at large scale and rapid and frequent to isolate the covid-19 ones.

Assumption: that it would be easy and quick to check whether there is something outside standard in the serum, and maybe a bit more complex to determine specifically if it is covid-19 in the serum.

What do guys think ?

Thank you

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  2. kmiklas

kmiklas

In my state (NJ) they use temperature as step 1.

Person must have a fever to be tested.

3. piezoe

piezoe

The problem in the U.S. is leadership, not covid tests. Germany does over 300K test per day!!! (We need three to four times that many of course.) Taiwan was able to nip the virus in the bud with testing. South Korea was attacked by the virus early on, but quickly able to mobilized and get things under control with testing. Meanwhile we are still sheltering in place wondering when will it be safe to come out from our hiding places?

4. piezoe

piezoe

Although temperature is an efficient and inexpensive screening method, we shouldn't waste scarce tests on those with symptoms -- just treat them as if they have Covid-19, once more common types of influenza have been rules out (There are quick tests for that readily available). The the tests for covid virus are not scarce in other countries of course. Instead of wasting a test on those with symptoms , until we have sufficient testing capability, we should find out who those with symptoms have been in contact with and then notify and test those people as quickly as possible..

5. It is quite possible to do everything, but everything takes time.

6. Teryc20

Teryc20

That's right. Patience can bring achievements, but sadly that is what people lack today.

7. IamaMars

IamaMars

Just yesterday I heard the news on the radio that the study of the virus is now in full swing and all countries, especially those with a large number of ill people, are now working to create means not only to treat the virus, but also to prevent it. Among the options that are being actively studied now, I remember the cells of some worms that are actively fighting the virus, as well as plasma blood of people who have already successfully contracted the virus. But there were many other options...As far as I know, there is no problem with testing the virus now, because there are tests long ago and they are highly effective. Maybe they're not enough for everyone in some countries? But I haven't heard of it. I am glad that now the whole world is united around one common problem, it means that a solution will definitely be found and the quarantine will end!

8. Amun Ra

Amun Ra

They're not going to mass test everyone. They only want to test the sickest so they can keep those mortality rates high to keep you scared.

9. piezoe

piezoe

Let's not make excuses for our incompetent leadership. We knew this was coming by late December. Prior to that, the Trump administration had dismantled the office whose job it was to keep track of viruses that could cause a pandemic and give advance warning to the President. Lets not sugar coat this. And this is most decidedly not Monday morning quarterbacking. Experts were advising the ramping up of testing in January, getting PPE and Ventilators ready. Other countries did these things, but we waited for leadership from the top, which turned out to be not forthcoming. Finally the States were forced to act on their own, and when the did they at first had to compete with, rather than be helped by, the Federal government! And still later, the Trump administration began to act, far too late to prevent having to shut down the entire economy. Trump ignored everyone and did his own thing, which was nothing at all until very, very late. Trump's incompetent leadership is directly responsible for many unnecessary deaths and having to shut down the entire country. Other countries with adequate testing have not had to do this to anything like the extent we have had to. And they have fewer deaths per capita. We are Italy, but with better leadership, we could have been Taiwan, South Korea, or Germany. At least Italy had a better excuse -- demographically older population and less warning than we had.

I suppose we have the government we deserve. We elected as our President a sociopath, failed businessman and TV host well-known to have an extreme narcissistic personality disorder. Why should we now be surprised he has turned out as he has.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020