Rangel wants to reinstate the draft

Discussion in 'Politics' started by drmarkan, Nov 19, 2006.

1. While the draft is the dumbest idea Rangel could possibly come up with I would certainly like to see quite a few of the most arden supporters of the war in Iraq drafted. Something tells me that if Doubters, Sputrds and FightTheFutures of the world are faced with a realistic possibility to personally fight them over there so that we don't have to fight them over here, if they or their children are faced with a real combat duty in Fallujah - their idea of spreading freedom and democracy in the arab world and their suport for the "stay the course" policies will undergo a quick and irreversible u-turn.

#21     Nov 19, 2006
  2. Cesko

Cesko

No, was slavery a community service you stupid fuck?

I mentioned that before but I came from Eastern Europe and you just have no fucking clue, dumb ass, how communist it sounds to mix terms like community service with basically coercive act called draft.
    Go to Cuba and live there for at least 10 years to get some fucking sense into your thick skull.

#22     Nov 19, 2006
  3. The quickest way to destroy the American military for a (another) generation is to institute a draft.

mandatory service maybe, draft...no way.

I think the the point that Rangel was trying to make is that the American Military is vastly overextended as it is right now. It could not even generate another 100-200K combat arms personnel for Iraq if it wanted to without leaving gaping holes in it's contingent force.

The fact is...is that we're fucked.

Tangentially: We're spending 12 billion per month on current combat operation...yet we're allocating only 6 billion per month. Any only 3 billion of that is on budget.

MASSIVE TAX HIKES ARE ON THE HORIZON COURTESY OF THIS REPUBLICAN ADMIN. Top earning traders stand by to take up the arse.....again

#23     Nov 19, 2006
  4. this draft bill is a trojan horse being sold as a liberal strategy to make the "priviledged" do their fair share of service. in reality it is like the patriot act just sitting on ready waiting for a catalyst to fool the american public into an escalation of the current war. shame on all those that want to forcefully enlist 18 year old girls for this scam.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R9flFq5ldRc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R9flFq5ldRc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

#24     Nov 20, 2006
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

Little known fact (specially for Americans), but more than 60% who served in Vietnam actually voluntered...
    If officers are counted, 70% of the casualties were actually volunteer.

Know your history... :)

http://members.aol.com/warlibrary/vwc8.htm

#25     Nov 20, 2006
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

Like you are the only one... :)

I will give 3 completely different reasons FOR the draft, then you guys can go and ruminate about it.

The draft is good:

1. If you OPPOSE the war: Until average Joe starts to die in numbers, the public's resistance to the war is going to be muted.

2. If you ARE for the war: It is logisticly simply impossible to keep up the current level of troops for decades without additional soldiers.

3. Unrelated to the war: Today's kids (specially the middle class)are a bunch of spoiled pussies who needs a little training and taste of real life.

#26     Nov 20, 2006
  7. I'll go in an instant. Will you please push me around in my wheelchair when we arrive in Iraq?

And or, if you dddooo, were to join the "freedom fighters", I will certainly go.

The US has made a mess of things in Iraq, and I feel that the US is obligated to correct that mistake.

Deal with it now, or possibly deal with something worse later.

#27     Nov 20, 2006
  8. ________________________________________________

Ditto! Sept the wheelchair.

When the military says leave that is when we should leave. They do the planning, I just give them support. They don't tell me how to trade and likewise I don't tell them how to war.

For the many of us that have served that is the way it works. Not like in charitable giving where the dddoooers are all talk and no action.

#28     Nov 20, 2006
  9. jem

jem

How can you draft of kids for a war when you do not even let them buy a beer?

The logic of modern day democrats at work.

#29     Nov 20, 2006
  10. Some volunteered to join the service of their choice or ROTC, etc.

John Kerry volunteered because he was going to be drafted...

#30     Nov 20, 2006