Rangel wants to reinstate the draft

Discussion in 'Politics' started by drmarkan, Nov 19, 2006.

1. So jury duty is communism?

ROTFLMAO...

#11     Nov 19, 2006
  2. newtoet

newtoet

"I don't see how anyone can support the war and not support the draft. I think to do so is hypocritical," he said.

I agree 100%

#12     Nov 19, 2006
  3. From 1948 until 1973, during both peacetime and periods of conflict, men were drafted to fill vacancies in the armed forces which could not be filled through voluntary means.

Hence it was the draft that FED Vietnam.

#13     Nov 19, 2006
  4. When did we begin to see a very great resistance to the draft?

The drafting of young men to fight in a very unpopular war lead to the end of the Vietnam war...

Doh!

#14     Nov 19, 2006
  5. when liberals talk about mandatory volunteering programs.. they arent referring to jury duty.

"President Clinton's philosophy may be enigmatic at times, but his core ideals were on display at a commencement address at Pennsylvania State University on May 10. He urged all public schools to make community service mandatory by requiring high school students to volunteer for a certain number of hours in order to earn their diplomas ... Mandatory service is just another instance of public schools intruding into family decisions." {"Mandatory Volunteers", Opinion Column by Scott G. Bullock, Lawyer for the Institute for Justice, The Providence Journal Bulletin, 5/20/96, p. 12}.

#15     Nov 19, 2006
  6. Jury duty is not voluntary, and it is public service.

Doh!

Oh, and it is also not communism.

Don't worry, I doubt you will be drafted for public service...

#16     Nov 19, 2006
  7. We need a freakin draft as much to get these directionless punks off the streets and out of the nest as anything. I think all young men should do at least two years.

#17     Nov 19, 2006
  8. BSAM

BSAM

Not every person is "combat" material, but virtually everyone can contribute in some way. I'm not sure a draft is a bad thing. If everyone had to go, I think it would soon become not a big deal. Would probably turn out to be good for the country as a whole. Having said that; people in the USA will join the military when there is a relevant cause. Vietnam and Iraqnam don't qualify as "relevant". Pearl Harbor did.

#18     Nov 19, 2006
  9. Cesko

Cesko

Forced? YES

Comrade ZZZzzzz you are fucking amazing.

#19     Nov 19, 2006
  10. Cesko

Cesko

If the same proposal was made by klannish right-winger would your reaction be the same comrade ZZZzzzzz?

#20     Nov 19, 2006