range vs trend and how to predict it

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by travis, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Yes, Razor and flip. There is no holy grail though, the only free lunch is synergy, but this definately has shown some merit the past few years. For example, put up a Mini Russel daily chart, ER2. Plot the indicator with the 8ema. Look at Sep 6, when it broke out over the EMA this year. The following days on the most part expanded in range and you definately got a few openX closeX. It then broke back down below and then broke out again on Sep19. The following days exploded in volatility and were openX CloseX as well. Spend some time with it, and you generally want it to have been beneath the EMA for quite a few days before considering it a decent breakout. I hope this getting leaked wont affect its consistency...

#41     Oct 3, 2006
  2. Razor

Razor

Cheers for the info apex, I will have a look see :D

#42     Oct 3, 2006
  3. The answer is not in the charts. The anwser lies in the news. Go find your trend days and look to see what the news was. What reports were given that day. Look to see if it was end of month, qtr, year. Look to see if it was during earnings. Look to see what happend that day. Go look for events that cause trending days.

John

#43     Oct 3, 2006
  4. Razor

Razor

John,

Interesting perspective.....some TA purists will argue that before an economic release day that things will tighten up as everyone sits on hands before the release and then once the news is out the the range expansion will begin....this will obviously be shown in the charts as range bound days prior to the economic report (trading under the 8ema) followed by an expansion day (where it breaks above the 8ema).....the TA purists will argue it's all in the charts / price action :D

#44     Oct 3, 2006
  5. Charts are shadows of events that drive money flow into its proxies, stocks, bonds, gold etc.

Get the list of monthy reports. Do some research on which ones are real movers. Pay attention of the end of month, first day of next month, end of qtr, first day next qtr. Pay attention to earnings the 6 weeks or so after the qtr ends.

John

#45     Oct 3, 2006
  6. Razor

Razor

John,

Thanks again for the interesting points. I am going to look into this.

apex,

Can you double check your ER2 daily chart for the Sept 6th break above 8ema, I don't see it (something could be setup wrong on my charts). I see the break on Sept 19th and continuation above after the break. I have posted a pic of my chart:

[​IMG]

Cheers :D

#46     Oct 3, 2006
  7. http://biz.yahoo.com/c/ec/200636.html

That is a link to the reports due out on the sept 6, also was that labor day?

Sep 6 8:30 AM Productivity-
    Sep 6 10:00 AM ISM Services
    Sep 6 10:30 AM Crude Inventories 09/01
    Sep 6 2:00 PM Fed's Beige Book

http://biz.yahoo.com/c/ec/200638.html is for the 19th.

Sep 19 8:30 AM Building Permits
    Sep 19 8:30 AM Core PPI Aug -
    Sep 19 8:30 AM Housing Starts
    Sep 19 8:30 AM PPI

John

See this is the non random nature of the markets. When markets move their are reasons for it. If a market appears to be trending ask yourself why should it be. If they reports out there that support the move jump on board and don't fade.

If no news to support a move in any direction the play support and resistance.

Learn to understand what news is important and which is not.

John

#47     Oct 3, 2006
  8. Razor

Razor

John,

I like this idea. Do you have a general list of important news releases that can give clues to possible trend moves ?

#48     Oct 3, 2006
  9. I don't know them that well, however I found a web site one time that went through all of them and what day of the month they came out and which are really important and which ones are not.

I will look for it again and I find it I will post.

However, now matter what the standard myth is about a certain report it has to be taken in context of the general climate.

For instance, a big reduction in oil inventories won't matter as much when oil is 30 bucks a barrel like it will at 75 bucks etc.

John

#49     Oct 3, 2006
  10. Razor

Razor

Got ya, looking forward to the web link.

Good night :D

#50     Oct 3, 2006