Range bars

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by just21, Mar 15, 2006.

1. IMHO you are missing nothing. I'd say you have perfect clarity.
    :p :D

#11     Mar 22, 2006
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

I use both. I watch for the same thing
    on both, TL's and simple horizontal S/R levels. As far as I'm concerned range bars are nothing revolutionary. There are just another way to chart prices. Like any other method they have their pros and cons. Some cons are you won't have NRB's, WRB's, inside bars or outside bars. Pros are you'll have a much less cluttered chart when volatility is low since new bars print only when there is price movement. I find them attractive for charting instruments like all sessions stock indexes and currencies. Where it's common that not much happens for hours at a time. I'm not much on using indicators myself but if you are it may be worth experimenting with constant range bars. Can't say as to whether it would make any particular indicator strategy profitable or not. But using constant range bars with many indicators would probably at least be an improvement.

#12     Mar 22, 2006
  3. Reduces the clutter during slow hours like lunch time etc.. However, sometimes clutter increases around data releases on a 24 hrs chart..

I have found constant volume charts produce the neatest charts and more reliable indicator reading..

Best.

#13     Mar 22, 2006
  4. BertH

BertH

What are constant volume charts, if you don't mind answering? Thanks

#14     Mar 22, 2006
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

A method of charting price action that creates a new price bar after every X amount of volume has traded. Example, say you select the parameter of 1000 shares or contracts. At every 1000 shares or contracts traded a new price bar will start. The OHLC
    of each bar represents the price action during the transaction of those 1000 shares or contracts. Regardless of how long it took
    or how wide the bar range is and could represent anything from a single trade to 1000 trades.

#15     Mar 22, 2006
  6. This is the best response I've ever seen from a MOD . . . congratulations on an "answer well done"!

#16     Mar 22, 2006
  7. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

that would be more useful than the range bars.

still, seeing comparative volume & volatility over time is essential in my old school ways.

#17     Mar 23, 2006
  8. Fred,

Once you start reading Volume Bars you will see that "Comparative Volume & Volatility" are easily discernible in them and even clearer than trying to interpret them from multiple sources.

#18     Mar 23, 2006
  9. BertH

BertH

I appreciate the response, and that makes sense. Makes me consider it as a tool to use.

#19     Mar 23, 2006