Random Walk Contest Week 1

Discussion in 'Journals' started by FishSauce, Apr 19, 2003.

1. ges

ges

One possibility might be to restrict possible stock picks to those that have a 50 day average volume of at least 250k. Just an idea.

g

#11     Apr 19, 2003
  2. I'll dive in and play. It's just for fun. Sounds kinda like the "monkey/dart thrower outperforms fund mangers" challenge back in the .com days, but here goes!

LONG: AVT, MNC, MVL
    SHORT: NOI, BDX

Equal weighting of 20% each. I took about 5 mins to come up with these picks based on relative strength. I'll check back next weekend to see how lucky/unlucky I was. This strategy is one I use, but as others have posted, real life trading would not have me locked into a Monday average to Friday close swing trade.

Cheers! May the best monkey win.

#12     Apr 20, 2003
  3. Lets start during the first week of May. By then I hope to have some guidelines.

Feel free to do as you please, though.

---Fish

#13     Apr 20, 2003

4. Hey there Fish. No offence, but you do sound like someone just "enlightened" by Finance 101, coming to set the record straight. :)

Pick some stocks and hold them five days, you say? *wry smile* You'll probably get the "results" you're looking for, but the exercise -- given that it has little to zero in common with trading --would prove pretty much zilch with respect to "beating the market".

#14     Apr 20, 2003
  5. It's Thurs and my 5 stock portfolio is green! not bad. 4 of my 5 picks are in the money. lets see what friday closes at. fishsauce, do you calculate it on a % return basis or actual $ basis?

DNAJ65000

#15     Apr 25, 2003
  6. Awesome, i think you have to risk-adjusted it.

Ri - rf divided by max drawdown or standard deviation.

#16     Apr 25, 2003