Random thoughts on the VAT

Discussion in 'Economics' started by IanMacQuaide, May 31, 2009.

1. If President Rahm Emmanuel (Barack Hussein Obama) and Congress pass a VAT, the Internet will explode with new business portals. The shipping will start in Mexico, UPS and FedEx will gladly transport our goodies to our homes, and no one will be able to stop it, short of putting the 3rd Army on the border with shoot to kill orders.

Your thoughts?

2. Things in Mexico already cost more than in the US. From electronics to cars to furniture and everything in between. They also have VAT, so I see that option as a bleak alternative.

3. Wal Mart hasn't tried to bribe the Policia de Federale.
    Yet.:D

4. Eight

Eight

Interesting, could be a "guerrilla business" opportunity. Mexico would not discourage it... I always hated Mexico but I could quickly learn to love the place... Yo puedo hablar Espanol y las senoritas son linda.. La Tequila is buena tambien..

An internet WalMart is what it would become, anything where the shipping cost was less than the VAT would sell like hotcakes maybe...

Democrats are never going with the VAT, they are progressive taxers to the hilt, what are we thinking here?

5. clacy

clacy

I just can't see them seriously pushing this thing either.

Try to pass a VAT or National Sales Tax in lieu of an income tax = huge backlash from the net tax benificeraries.

Try to pass a VAT on top of income tax = lose the net tax payers in this country