Random entry system a la Van Tharp

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by traderkay, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Dave

That quote is over 15 years old...

I'm surprised to see you write this.
    Quite a lot can change in 15 years

The random entry studies are available in past Market Mastery articles if anybody is interested. email info@iitm.com for more info. The were not able to work on the S&P's. So guys who can't do well trading the QQQ, and ES I would imagine the same results.

The system takes advantage of trends, extremely far away stops and small position sizes are necessary to have this system produce a positive expectancy but it still does produce a positive expectancy.

Robert

#11     Oct 14, 2002
  2. This is a position trading system, not enough time to develop a trend can be found in 60 minute bars without having your commissions eat you alive.

Also DO NOT use this for ES as it the S&P index was the only thing that it doesn't work with.

Robert

#12     Oct 14, 2002
  3. Hmm interesting, Robert. I noticed on the ES it produced a consistent negative equity line like 9 out of 10 times (without commissions). Is there a way to turn it around?:)

#13     Oct 15, 2002
  4. not for any index having to do with the S&Ps.

Robert

#14     Oct 16, 2002
  5. robert,

yes, that is a very old quote and many things can change. it in no way diminishes the respect that i have for your father and his teachings. i do have a question however, why does the random entry system only work for the sp ? it should work across all markets if it is a viable system.

all the best,

dave

ps--looking forward to meeting you guys in NYC.

#15     Oct 16, 2002
  6. it works for EVERYTHING except the S&P.

Not sure why? I haven't studied it too much.
    Robert

#16     Oct 16, 2002
  7. Daal

Daal

That deverses attention

#17     May 2, 2003
  8. Pabst

Pabst

So in other words it has a positive expectancy, but only in trending non equity index markets. :D :D :D :D :confused:

#18     May 2, 2003